BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I'm new here and I'm not very familiar with the common issues that this car has it's my 1st bmw.
So this car has N42 engine with around 220k km it's problem that engine oil is disappearing like crazy. At first i thought it had a leak somewhere but the engine is clean all around. I believe its burning oil although there's no smoke coming from the exhaust whatsoever but there's alot of carbon buildup that appeared on the exhaust tips as well as the scanner im using is showing that the catalytic converter isn't passing emissions but that clears after driving the car hard for around 15 minutes
So the consumption is like 1 litre of oil after driving for around 100km
After some research im assuming its either the ccv or oil stem seals.
anyways i wanted to ask here first before taking to a mechanic so that i can expect what he will will say what the cost will be
I hope you will give me a better idea about what the issue might be and thank you

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I will add 3 more things, valve cover gasket (VCG), piston rings and oil filter housing gasket (OFHG). With the VCG, you can't just visually look from the top pf the engine and call it clean. Did you take off the skid plate at the bottom of the engine and look? Same witth the OFHG. These 2 require replacement. Next is the piston rings and this you can try the O2 pilot mod to see if it help. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your reply
yes i did inspect it from the bottom and as i said there are no signs of oil leaking and based on the amount of oil lost in such a short period of time there should be a puddle of oil on the skid plate but there isn't a single drop on it as well as other component around the engine.
im not familiar with the o2 pilot mod is it compatible with this engine?
also if you can tell me if there is a way if its the oil control rings or valve stem seals without tearing the engine apart?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts