BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2002 in 328 Cracked Head Quandry

754 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  SJBimmer
Hey, new here as a poster but many thanks for vicarious help in the past.

Our quandary: drove our 2002 328iS to CA on vacation and reportedly cracked a head. The local BMW dealer says repair will exceed the cars value and advises against it; however, our car which WAS in great shape they now say is not worth anything ($500 salvage if we buy a car).

So, I can understand that this repair is costly...but really, no residual value? If anyone knows of a good ending to this story, please let me know. That might be selling to someone who can do the repair for themselves, or bringing to another shop for a more cost effective repair...

Many thanks,
Stranded in Valencia
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Is your car US or Canadian spec ? There was no such model as a "2002 328is" produced for the US market. The 328 was only made through model year 2000 in this country.

In any event, a salvage yard engine can probably be obtained & installed for somewhere around $2500. Good luck.
Hey, new here as a poster but many thanks for vicarious help in the past.

Our quandary: drove our 2002 328iS to CA on vacation and reportedly cracked a head. The local BMW dealer says repair will exceed the cars value and advises against it; however, our car which WAS in great shape they now say is not worth anything ($500 salvage if we buy a car).

So, I can understand that this repair is costly...but really, no residual value? If anyone knows of a good ending to this story, please let me know. That might be selling to someone who can do the repair for themselves, or bringing to another shop for a more cost effective repair...

Many thanks,
Stranded in Valencia
Hey, you're right and sorry--previous car was a 328, this one is a 330.
As Bob says, get a salvage engine, do not try to fix what you have.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.