BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I'm doing the brakes on the Roadie today, and I see this at the left rear. There are two round donuts just sitting there loose in the center of the coil spring. So I saunter over to the right rear, and it has no donuts.

Now I'm guessing that there should be one donut per side, and that they have something to do with protecting the suspension at full compression, but there are no pics of these in the Bentley manual, and there really isn't space for them at the bottom of the spring. Do they go at the top of the spring? Anybody else have these things? And why did the factory put two on one side? (They did put them on the left side. Did they know how heavy I am?)

Cheers!

John

Attachments

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Hi All!

I'm doing the brakes on the Roadie today, and I see this at the left rear. There are two round donuts just sitting there loose in the center of the coil spring. So I saunter over to the right rear, and it has no donuts.

Now I'm guessing that there should be one donut per side, and that they have something to do with protecting the suspension at full compression, but there are no pics of these in the Bentley manual, and there really isn't space for them at the bottom of the spring. Do they go at the top of the spring? Anybody else have these things? And why did the factory put two on one side? (They did put them on the left side. Did they know how heavy I am?)

Cheers!

John
Transport discs.
Dealer supposed to remove them in prep for car sale.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
8 years, and no one that serviced the car ever noticed...sad...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right.

I bought the car in 2004 at 19k, and it now has 35k. Until now, it has had all of its work done at the dealer, including replacing the left rear wheel under warranty and a Service 1.

Now that it's out of warranty, I'm doing the work myself. Standards should go up...

Maybe?

Cheers!

John

·
Officially Weird
1,637 Posts
Reminds me of the story from Roundel about the guy who bought some car (I want to say Z3 M) and it rode like crap, he took it to the dealer and complained after a few weeks and they were embarrassed to find the donuts there... surprised yours made it so long!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts