BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just brought his new 2002 330ci over for me to try the new steering yesterday morning. As a bit of background, I have driven every model year E46 now, and I backed out of a deal to purchase a 2001 330i after BMW lightened the steering effort. Well, the 2002 is much improved - much more effort and road feel than the 2001. I still think the original 1999 and early 2000 steering was better, but the 2002 steering is light years ahead of the 2001 version.

·
"Mr." Asb2002...
147 Posts
Indeed it is... I had a loaner for the day last week - a 2001 325i with PP, SP, and about 12000 miles. Two things I noticed immediately:

1) The steering was extremely loose. So much so that I never would have considered buying that car. I'm on my first BMW now and coming off a '92 Lexus ES300 in which the steering was ULTRA loose. I'm amazed they took such a backwards turn in the steering department for that year.

2) Compared to my car (which has just over 1000 miles on it now) the loaner seemed much more agile and fast off the line. Either it's because I was driving it a lot harder (I'm still very careful with my baby) or the "evolution" rumors are true - that these cars really do improve and run better as you put on the miles.

·
Revelation 10:7
1,012 Posts
I also have a 2002 325i and I think the steering is great. While I have never driven an older E46, I have heard the 2001 is much like an Accord. Also based on what I have heard, the 1999-2000 E46's had steering very similar to my wifes 2001 Z3.

When I first got my E46 I was a bit disappointed with the steering. I had expected it to feel like the Z3. This was before I ever visited this board and new about the 2001 issue. Well, after 03 months with the car, I actually prefer the E46 steering over the Z3.

I am sure most of it has to do with me getting comfortable with the car. Not to mention coming out of an Integra GSR. At any rate, I think the 2002 Steering is great. I would be very interested in driving a 2001 and a 1999 for comparison.

As an aside, since both you guys are also from Atlanta, where did you get your BMW's and do either of you live North of Atlanta?

·
"Mr." Asb2002...
147 Posts
Wow, this became an ATL thread - cool!

I'm inside the city, off N. Druid Hills. I shopped mainly at Chris BMW in Decatur. I also received a quote via Autobytel from Taylor BMW in Augusta. Taylor quoted me BY FAR the better deal. I ended up buying from Global BMW in Atlanta because I have a friend who knows the owner well and I got a superb deal. Otherwise, without the deal, their price would have been just a little better than Chris Bmw.

I had a relatively minor issue (see the thread on A/C Noice) that landed my car in the shop for a day. If you take yours in for anything and get a loaner, ask for a 2001 so you can compare.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GSR13 said:
I have heard the 2001 is much like an Accord.

As an aside, since both you guys are also from Atlanta, where did you get your BMW's and do either of you live North of Atlanta?
While it is true that the older Accords had relatively numb steering, that is certainly not the case with our 1995 Accord EX - it has greater steering effort and more road feel than the 2001 E46 steering - I have driven both cars back to back, and the difference was noticeable.

I live in Roswell, and the next BMW I purchase will be from Global, as I have a connection with the owner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts