BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 X5 that I am trying to keep on the road and not have to pay the dealer if possible. My issue is with my driver's side door handle, I recently found that my handle had been pulled too hard and is now loose and will not fully release the door.
I have taken the door trim off to investigate the issue and it appears that the pulley or cable is engaged and working, however, there is too much slack in the handle and I have no idea if there is a tensioner (sp?) or even how I would go about taking the exterior handle off?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

CF:
dunno:

·
Registered
5 Posts
The alluminium bracket mechanism on the inside of door holding the outer handle, has 2 small little ears where a shaft and spring is running through. It is most likely one of those ears broke off, making the mechanism not working. I cant for the love of this world understand why BMW designed this mechanism so flimsy. it is impossible to weld , but i made a little steel bracket with an eyelit and scewed it onto the alluminium frame in the place of the ear - its been working for 2 weeks now and may just last. Otherwise a whole new mechanism from an agent is the only way. Its not too difficult to replace!

·
Registered
5 Posts
To remove the handle - disengage the cable between the handle and the plastic lock mechanism. Remove the lock mechanism by loosening the 3 screws on the side of the door. Take the mechanism out of the door. Now remove the black plug just above those 3 screws on the side of the door. First pull out the cente of the black plug, then the outer. Inside is bolt - remove. Now go to the outside of the car and pull the handle. there is a hex nut on a bolt, remove with a 10mm spanner. Remove the nut and bolt. Now swing the handle up or down for about 20 degrees and the handle will then come undone. Under the small end of the handle is a star screw. remove. The whole alluminium mechanism will fall out on the inside of the door. Take out and inspect where the ear has broken off

·
BMW Roxxx
28 Posts
To remove the handle - disengage the cable between the handle and the plastic lock mechanism. Remove the lock mechanism by loosening the 3 screws on the side of the door. Take the mechanism out of the door. Now remove the black plug just above those 3 screws on the side of the door. First pull out the cente of the black plug, then the outer. Inside is bolt - remove. Now go to the outside of the car and pull the handle. there is a hex nut on a bolt, remove with a 10mm spanner. Remove the nut and bolt. Now swing the handle up or down for about 20 degrees and the handle will then come undone. Under the small end of the handle is a star screw. remove. The whole alluminium mechanism will fall out on the inside of the door. Take out and inspect where the ear has broken off
How hard is it to take just the lock and outside lock cover off of my X5 then reinstall?? I need to tighten my loose door handle part that moves outward on the outside of the car because it droops down at rest. To me its more noticable than what it appears to show in the pic below. I watched a video on YouTube about this but the guy did the pass side and started with the cover and handle already taken off. I am hoping that it is just the nut that is loose on the pull out part of the handle(shown below). Thats what droops down. I am worried I wont be able to get the lock part reinstalled again after tightening up that nut. I have taken my E46 one off before and it just slid out and right back in. Is the X5 just as simple to reinstall?

Attachments

·
tech_bimmer
49 Posts
Kudos to anyone who was able to change the door handle mechanism without err. My buddy and I took hours in the freezing cold trying to replace the driver side passenger door handle. Needless to say, it was the first and last door handle changeout for yours truly!

But yes, you'll need to order another door hand mechanism. Once you get the broken one removed, you'll see why it broke.

·
BMW Roxxx
28 Posts
-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts