BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took some pics of an old article that I have, summer '99, I believe....

yes, that is a 328Ci :D, non-SP too. Lots less roll

Obviously the E46 is going to be the heaviest in the chart, heaviest platform and the only I-6 (318Ci is 3053lbs)

The tii had 13x5.5" rims :lmao: Tiny :D

Don't whine about picture size :flipoff:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
nate328Ci said:

The last chart is interesting, it took a long time for the BMW I-4s (non M3) to return to 2002tii power levels, the E46 Valvetronic is the first that surpasses it. Obviously the E46 is going to be the heaviest in the chart, heaviest platform and the only I-6 (318Ci is 3053lbs)
Well, first, the 02 is 2.0l vs 1.8l in E30 and 1.9l in E36. Also, the 02 is rated in SAE Gross HP, which I believe is ~15% higher than its SAE Net. And of course a 72 '02 has no smog equipment.

That being said, the M10 engine was used from the '02 all the way into the E30.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: 2002tii with it's big brother(s)

Kaz said:

Well, first, the 02 is 2.0l vs 1.8l in E30 and 1.9l in E36. Also, the 02 is rated in SAE Gross HP, which I believe is ~15% higher than its SAE Net. And of course a 72 '02 has no smog equipment.

That being said, the M10 engine was used from the '02 all the way into the E30.
Ah, that would explain the huge difference between the tii and the 320. I did think the engine was the same block, but maybe the 320 was detuned, but your theory seems more plausable. But, I didn't think that it was as large as a 15% difference; I wouldn't know. Yea, no emmisions regulations makes a big difference.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I thnk it is interesting that the 323 rated at 170 hp has the same 0-60 time as the 184 hp version. Did the 325 gain weight? Even if it did, hit the exact same number? :dunno:

That plus when you look at the performance numbers in the recent tests between the Acura 3.2 CL with 260 hp and the 330 with 225 hp kind of makes me wonder about BMW's hp ratings.

Supports my belief that it's not all about horsepower.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zaphod said:
I thnk it is interesting that the 323 rated at 170 hp has the same 0-60 time as the 184 hp version. Did the 325 gain weight? Even if it did, hit the exact same number? :dunno:

gained 45lbs according to BMWUSA, the 325 has more rated power and a shorter differential it should be a hair faster....

but, from a dead stop, it would be a closer race....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Slick article-

Just a note for clarification-
All 2002's (except 1973) had air pumps. Each year also has some assorted smog stuff installed as well. Although not as extensive as the later cars, it was the first generation of that 'crap' and therefore it didn't work so good :rolleyes:
My year (1973) was the only year that didn't have a pump. It has the 'new' head style from the 6 cyl so it made it by w/o any the pump although it had EGR. What it has installed now is somewhat less than it had at time of delivery :angel:

Nate- What magazine was that from? I'd be interested in getting a copy of it...

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Slick article-

lip277 said:

Nate- What magazine was that from? I'd be interested in getting a copy of it...
It was from Automobile, they had a packet that they distributed when the first E46 coupes came out. Dealers used to have lots of them....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.