Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm aware the engine is the next generation, and I'm buying a whole parts car. Can I expect to have to rewire the car? Or are most of the plugs and whatnot interchangeable? And if I swap to the newer ecu and dash will I have any problems? If I could have any information towards the swap thatd be very helpful. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also say that my plan is to build the m54 while driving the car with the m52 so it's rather crucial to know any kinks before I spend a couple thousand on the engine lol

·
Keeping it surreal
43,083 Posts
I should also say that my plan is to build the m54 while driving the car with the m52 so it's rather crucial to know any kinks before I spend a couple thousand on the engine lol
Just for the record (and to save you the pain of a possible heart attack down the road), engine swaps are not as simple as they used to be. They typically take longer, and cost more , than first anticipated. You will need patience, and maybe a fatter wallet to get where you want to be !

Good luck with your project ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. But I am no beginner when it comes to swaps. I've swapped about 5-6 motors and 4 or 5 transmissions (hard to keep count) I'm not a mechanic. Just a guy with a heavy foot and limited regard to my vehicles lol. Other than this car. I'd be doing it all myself and it's not the swap that is concerning me just the general electrical of the vehicle. I had a 2006 Mazda 3 and had to get 3 different motors because they changed the coil packs and whatnot every ****ing year lol. Just mostly wondering what the compatibility is. And thank you for the encouragement. I've yet to even drive the 323i yet but I cannot wait as this is my first rear wheel drive car (I've owned rwd trucks) in 11 vehicles and it's about time to build a car worth building. I already love the E46 platform and cant wait to drive it!

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Here’s the gist of the story: the 323 is an M52 motor. The 325 is an M54 motor. That means the 323 engine is a generation behind the 325 motor. What changed? The electronics are different. The electrical plugs (there are many) may be different. The engine management computer (DME in BMWspeak) is different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts