BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just a beginner. I would like to modify my 2003 BMW 325i by myself. I bought a M style bumper and a new air intake. I order a programmer to remap the ECU. Could anyone give me any suggestion on what else I should do? Moreover, I do not know how to get my front bumper and the radiator off. Could someone give me a link, better with photograph for each step? Thanks a lot!!!:rofl:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Assuming you have read the WIKI and taken care of all the necessary preventative maintenance issues first?

Best performance Bang-for -the-Buck mod will be suspension related. Suggest after-market anti-sways. Huge improvement in cornering/handling with no negative ride trade-offs. Hotchki or Sway Barbarian are good choices.

clear corners and side lights upgrade the look of these cars for sure. Stealth grills - depending on the car colour (better on lighter coloured cars - chrome for dark ones).

window tint. carbon fiber trim wrap for interior trim pieces.

gauge rings and sharpy needle mod with M3 gauge faces.

These are all relatively cheap and easy.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
I am interested in the anti-sway bar. Could I just change the bar? Is that OK for the whole suspension system of the BMW 325? How to check the car is well after the replacement? Thx~
You should make sure the entire suspension is in good shape (struts, shocks, LCABs, and all rubber bits) before thinking about mods. You know....like having a solid foundation under your house....

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
I am just a beginner. I would like to modify my 2003 BMW 325i by myself. I bought a M style bumper and a new air intake. I order a programmer to remap the ECU. Could anyone give me any suggestion on what else I should do? Moreover, I do not know how to get my front bumper and the radiator off. Could someone give me a link, better with photograph for each step? Thanks a lot!!!:rofl:
Attention Noobs....

You are walking down a well-beaten path, where a million Noobs have gone before you, asking the same questions. Be advised: Other than supercharging, you can forget about squeezing more horsepower out of these engines....it AIN`T gonna happen, so don`t waste your money.
Get your cooling system, brakes, and suspension in good shape, upgrade the swaybars, take a couple of HPDE classes where they`ll teach you how to REALLY drive that BMW, then you`ll be ready to run circles around "faster" cars....

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I am interested in the anti-sway bar. Could I just change the bar? Is that OK for the whole suspension system of the BMW 325? How to check the car is well after the replacement? Thx~
Taking into account what Bob said about overall suspension health...the anti-sways are a "plug-and-play" mod. They do not require any changes to the other suspension components nor do they impact alignment etc.

The Hotchkis kit (which I have), comes with all bolts, bushings, lubricant etc for a complete install. The fit and finish is first class.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Attention Noobs....

You are walking down a well-beaten path, where a million Noobs have gone before you, asking the same questions. Be advised: Other than supercharging, you can forget about squeezing more horsepower out of these engines....it AIN`T gonna happen, so don`t waste your money.
Get your cooling system, brakes, and suspension in good shape, upgrade the swaybars, take a couple of HPDE classes where they`ll teach you how to REALLY drive that BMW, then you`ll be ready to run circles around "faster" cars....
Thank you so much. I am really just a beginner. I just want to learn to improve my car by myself. Maybe the horsepower cannot be improved much, but I want to modify it all by myself. I have no idea what is the HPDE class. Is it similar to racing driver education?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Taking into account what Bob said about overall suspension health...the anti-sways are a "plug-and-play" mod. They do not require any changes to the other suspension components nor do they impact alignment etc.

The Hotchkis kit (which I have), comes with all bolts, bushings, lubricant etc for a complete install. The fit and finish is first class.
I will think about the anti-sway bar. BTW, do you change the front bumper by yourself? I also want to change the front bumper to M3 style.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
Thank you so much. I am really just a beginner. I just want to learn to improve my car by myself. Maybe the horsepower cannot be improved much, but I want to modify it all by myself. I have no idea what is the HPDE class. Is it similar to racing driver education?
At this point, you shouldn`t be thinking about "modifying" it, you should be more concerned with making it "roadworthy and reliable".
And yes, HPDE stands for High Performance Driver Education. They`ll teach you how to get the most out of your car. Even a stock 325 (with solid suspension) has handling potential that`s beyond the capabilities of most drivers....it`s good to know how to use it.

·
tappa tappa toit
4,727 Posts
At this point, you shouldn`t be thinking about "modifying" it, you should be more concerned with making it "roadworthy and reliable".
And yes, HPDE stands for High Performance Driver Education. They`ll teach you how to get the most out of your car. Even a stock 325 (with solid suspension) has handling potential that`s beyond the capabilities of most drivers....it`s good to know how to use it.
This is true. I was kind hoping he'd ask for "tips and tricks" like the other guy did lol.

But yeah best bang for buck is suspension mods/maintenance. Before that, you should learn to appreciate your stock car for what it is and also take care preventative maintenance like water pump, hoses, tank, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Attention Noobs....

Fast Bob
Tells it like it is !! :thumbup:HPDE.. a good driver in on of these cars will run rings around so called faster cars plus you will be a safer driver in the end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.