BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a lease 325i serie that caught on fire after I took the car in for repair to the fuel gauge. They said they replaced several things and everything should be fine. Well, a week later while driving home from dinner, I saw smoke coming out from the dash right in front of the driver seat. I did what anyone else would do and called the fire department. They came and while we was walking towards the car, we saw the interior burst into flames. Within minutes the fire department had the fire put out; however, the car is a total lost now. I never experience this type of problem before and I don't know what to expect.

Anyone who have experienced or knows of someone who went through this, can you please share your story. I really want BMW to take responsibility and look into this more seriously. They told me they are sending a engineer from BMWNA over to the islands but that's what I read from the other complaint about the X5 that caught on fire...I just don't feel that's good enough. And the other gentleman who had his 3 series burn up due to electrical problem with the faulty aux fan had his 3 series replace with another 3 series that they shipped from Germany. I don't feel the danger we consumer goes through especially if you have kids can accept a same replacement. I don't know what the penalties should be but giving the same replacement just doesn't sound right.

Thank you, please send me your opinions, suggestions, etc...

Al

·
10,856 Posts
Get over it. No harm was done to anything but the car.

·
Registered
668 Posts
hanzel said:
I have a lease 325i serie that caught on fire after I took the car in for repair to the fuel gauge. They said they replaced several things and everything should be fine. Well, a week later while driving home from dinner, I saw smoke coming out from the dash right in front of the driver seat. I did what anyone else would do and called the fire department. They came and while we was walking towards the car, we saw the interior burst into flames. Within minutes the fire department had the fire put out; however, the car is a total lost now. I never experience this type of problem before and I don't know what to expect.

Anyone who have experienced or knows of someone who went through this, can you please share your story. I really want BMW to take responsibility and look into this more seriously. They told me they are sending a engineer from BMWNA over to the islands but that's what I read from the other complaint about the X5 that caught on fire...I just don't feel that's good enough. And the other gentleman who had his 3 series burn up due to electrical problem with the faulty aux fan had his 3 series replace with another 3 series that they shipped from Germany. I don't feel the danger we consumer goes through especially if you have kids can accept a same replacement. I don't know what the penalties should be but giving the same replacement just doesn't sound right.

Al
Well, what exactly would you like them to do? It's under warranty and so they will replace the car with a new one. Did you expect them to give you a new M5?
If you want to get something more than that get yourself a lawyer and sue BMW for your mental suffering, fear of cars or other irreversible damages stemming from this terrifying episode etc etc etc - I'm sure the lawyer will know how to translate your anguish into USD.

Other than that - you'll get what you rightfully deserve - and that is a brand new 325i.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Wallenrod said:
Well, what exactly would you like them to do? It's under warranty and so they will replace the car with a new one. Did you expect them to give you a new M5?
If you want to get something more than that get yourself a lawyer and sue BMW for your mental suffering, fear of cars or other irreversible damages stemming from this terrifying episode etc etc etc - I'm sure the lawyer will know how to translate your anguish into USD.

Other than that - you'll get what you rightfully deserve - and that is a brand new 325i.
Did they say that they are replacing the car? It sounds like they SHOULD replace it, since it burned up right after it was serviced, etc. Assuming they are replacing it, I think it's just one of those things. I don't think that 3-series cars have a problem here--it's just cars in general. If something wasn't tightened down properly after the fuel pump replacement causing fuel to leak, well, there you go...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Jim H said:
Did they say that they are replacing the car? It sounds like they SHOULD replace it, since it burned up right after it was serviced, etc. Assuming they are replacing it, I think it's just one of those things. I don't think that 3-series cars have a problem here--it's just cars in general. If something wasn't tightened down properly after the fuel pump replacement causing fuel to leak, well, there you go...
I'm sure they have to investigate it first before they give him a new car - that's why they are sending the engineer. The original poster implied that they are going to replace it based on what they did to someone else. He believes it's not enough.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
hanzel said:

Al
a replacement sounds totally fine. not sure what the problem is if nobody got hurt? :dunno:

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
Sh!t happens it sucks but you were just unlucky, they are replacing the car so forgetaboutit. One thing I would do is demand a loaner until they hand over a new car.

·
2,457 Posts
I doubt they will replace a 2+ year old car, gratis. I'd wager they attempt to make you pay for the difference, if you want a new car. You would be asking for a $35000 car to replace a $22000 one. I don't think that's fair to BMW, seeing nobody was hurt, and you are just inconvenienced for a few weeks while the car is replaced. They'll likely have you go thru insurance, and that way, you get what the car is actually worth.

If you want to push it.. do as others have suggested.. get yourself a lawyer, sue BMWNA, and make all of us pay an additional $X on our next BMW, to cover your frivolous lawsuit. If they find out it's their fault, due to the recent service, they'll take care of you.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Logically, they could buy a 2 year old car from a BMW dealer and give it to him. I'm not as sanguine as you about the prospect that they will definitely do the right thing if faulty build or faulty repairs caused the fire.

Best advice to the OP, I suspect, is to make reasonable requests for appropriate compensation, and not to sign a release of any kind until he is satisfied. If BMW isn't ponying up and won't explain itself rationally, then he should see a lawyer for advice on his rights and remedies. :dunno:

LarryN said:
I doubt they will replace a 2+ year old car, gratis. I'd wager they attempt to make you pay for the difference, if you want a new car. You would be asking for a $35000 car to replace a $22000 one. I don't think that's fair to BMW, seeing nobody was hurt, and you are just inconvenienced for a few weeks while the car is replaced. They'll likely have you go thru insurance, and that way, you get what the car is actually worth.

If you want to push it.. do as others have suggested.. get yourself a lawyer, sue BMWNA, and make all of us pay an additional $X on our next BMW, to cover your frivolous lawsuit. If they find out it's their fault, due to the recent service, they'll take care of you.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,798 Posts
WOW - to those who are saying "get over it", "it's not fair to BMW to replace the car with a new one", etc.... I don't know if you'd be saying these same things if it happened to you. If faulty service resulted in the fire, which seems a plausible explanation from what we know, I would fully expect the dealer to be responsible for any difference from the current car value (insurance) to a new one and I would use a lawyer if I needed one. This would not be a frivolous lawsuit, IMO. The person was going along minding his own business and as the result of probable negligence, his car was destroyed. He shouldn't have to pay 1 dime out of his pocket for a like-replacement vehicle.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
markl53 said:
WOW - to those who are saying "get over it", "it's not fair to BMW to replace the car with a new one", etc.... I don't know if you'd be saying these same things if it happened to you. If faulty service resulted in the fire, which seems a plausible explanation from what we know, I would fully expect the dealer to be responsible for any difference from the current car value (insurance) to a new one and I would use a lawyer if I needed one. This would not be a frivolous lawsuit, IMO. The person was going along minding his own business and as the result of probable negligence, his car was destroyed. He shouldn't have to pay 1 dime out of his pocket for a like-replacement vehicle.
They should just give him a new car. The thing that gets under the skin of many of us, when he mentioned that he should be compensated...as if a new car is not enough and he wants cash even though he wasn't hurt. Litigious society...

My sister's kid fell funny at a Thomasville store. Little devil broke her leg (she took a tumble off a bunk bed ladder and the fault was clearly with her father and his inattention). Well Thomasville kept calling and offering to pay doctor bills, etc. They couldn't grasp that my sister accepted full and complete responsibility. Finally she had to tell them, "We're both lawyers! If we thought you were negligent, we'd file charges. But you're not at fault in any way. The kid did what kids do. Stop bothering us, please."

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I don't believe this guy until I see a picture.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,798 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
My sister's kid fell funny at a Thomasville store. Little devil broke her leg (she took a tumble off a bunk bed ladder and the fault was clearly with her father and his inattention). Well Thomasville kept calling and offering to pay doctor bills, etc. They couldn't grasp that my sister accepted full and complete responsibility. Finally she had to tell them, "We're both lawyers! If we thought you were negligent, we'd file charges. But you're not at fault in any way. The kid did what kids do. Stop bothering us, please."
So there is hope yet :)

Hey, today I read about that woman who was suing Wendy's over the finger in the chili. She's under arrest for some as yet unspecified reason. She keeps trying to sue big companies for $$$ for whatever reason she can come up with...

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
RChoudry said:
I don't believe this guy until I see a picture.
:stupid: : popcorn:

·
Padawan
1,430 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
Finally she had to tell them, "We're both lawyers!
That's exactly why they were so terrified!

--J.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A similar situation happened to a friend of mine about 15 years ago. He had a new Mercedes 420S and one day when he went to start it, the air bag exploded in his face, and then the car caught fire near the transmission tunnel in the interior. He came out with only a black eye and ringing ears but Mercedes sent two engineers from Germany to tear apart the car to determine the cause. After about a week, they discovered that when he had the cell phone installed by Cellular One, they ran a wire down the tranny tunnel and put in some anchors with stainless screws...inadvertantly hitting one of the wires (sensor wire for the airbag) and it shorted. Suddenlly, Mercedes was off the hook and Cellular One had to buy a new 420S for my friend. :thumbup:

I know this doesn't really answer your question or provide any condolance but it *was* a similar experience and I just wanted to share. :)

Good luck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wallenrod said:

:stupid:

well, sorta. I expect also what the other has said, you will get sent through insurance. Instead, I believe you should get a layer and instead of blaming BMW, blame the dealer which serviced your car. Though I usually don't stand for the firing of low class working emplyees such as the man who serviced your vehicle, it's his a$$, he deserves to take some fall for his slip ups. Go after the dealer w/ a lawyer, you wont even have to go through court, they will offer you a car, a new one.

·
In a ton of debt...
1,837 Posts
markl53 said:
He shouldn't have to pay 1 dime out of his pocket for a like-replacement vehicle.
A like replacement vehicle will be a 2 year old car, no? :dunno:

·
In a ton of debt...
1,837 Posts
bluejeansonfire said:
Why not? I thought his car was two years old when it caught on fire.

If your two year old car got totaled in an accident, you don't get a brand new car do you?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts