BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2003 325i with 200,000 miles

20505 26
So I found an add of a 2003 325i with 200,000 miles on it for 4700. I was wondering if this was a good deal and if there was anything that i should know about the car before I buy it. I am only 17 and have only been driving for about two years so is it a good car for a beginner? Thanks for the help guys.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
You better have about $2-3k for the first year to buy parts n be diligent about fixing it or paying a reputable shop to fix it
It was taken care extremely well in the past. And about a year ago the previous owner had a 1700 dollars "fix up" i guess you would say cleaning the engine and making it like new or at leaste as new as a 150,000 mile car can be. But I was wondering more about how the car itself is and how long they generally last.
Not a good car for a beginner, especially with 200K. It MIGHT be a good deal, or a money pit, depending on how it was maintained. At your age, you should be looking at getting a good Honda or Toyota. Not trying to be mean, It's what I would do for my kid too. BMW's are great, but as ZZ top says, your wallet has to be there.
Don't be fooled. A $1700 "fix up" could have been only a few things if the dealer did the work since they charge 4 times what normal shops do. That said, a 200,000 mile bimmer is plenty worth buying for $4700. Just know, it will need a lot of work as it was surely neglected. I bought a 2004 ZHP in December that I personally maintained for 3 years (as much as the owner would let me) and it has cost me $2352.27 to date. The car had 138k miles when I bought it.

BTW, that $2300 doesn't include the cooling system and brake overhaul I did for the PO just prior to buying the car. And notice the work still needed adds up to another $2200 and I do all my own labor.

Lastly, if the car is auto, expect it to fail. It might not, but it probably will.
It was taken care extremely well in the past. And about a year ago the previous owner had a 1700 dollars "fix up" i guess you would say cleaning the engine and making it like new or at leaste as new as a 150,000 mile car can be. But I was wondering more about how the car itself is and how long they generally last.
I'm pretty sure that he took care of the car because he reupholstered the inside with cloth he ordered from bmw in Germany, has all the receipts from maintenance, and he even spent 100$ on the manual. And on top of that it is perfectly clean. And by the way it is a manual transmission.
200k is very high, even if these cars are reliable, your resale value will be very low as well, $4700 can get you a decent Japanese car through private owner with less than 150k miles, these cars are also pricier to maintain and like most people stated id stay away, not worth the hassles
That isn't what I stated at all. Who comes into a BMW forum and makes a statement about a Japanese crap box being a better choice? I am the first to say the money and hassles as you call them are well worth it to drive a real car, not some econobox POS.
200k is very high, even if these cars are reliable, your resale value will be very low as well, $4700 can get you a decent Japanese car through private owner with less than 150k miles, these cars are also pricier to maintain and like most people stated id stay away, not worth the hassles
I own Infiniti, Toyota, Porsche 911 and have a 325i right now, based on this person's situation as he is only 17 and is his first car, he is looking at spending a good amount to maintain a car that has 200k miles, I didn't mean to disrespect any BMW fanboy on here but no matter how much you love a brand or make you have to be realistic and reliability is a top priority here, my 325i only has 90k miles and everyone on here will tell you some issues to watch for such as the crappy cooling system and AC, my Infiniti has 178k miles and has a far superior AC unit that my 03 325i, anyway, everyone is in a different situation and what I meant to say is that for $4700 you can get something that's somewhat cheaper to maintain, at 17 years old he should be thinking about buying college books, having a reliable car to commute etc instead of spending it on costly repairs...again that's my opinion, don't mean to offend or piss anyone off, just being a realist
im 16 and i am extremely lucky to say my first car is a 2004 330ci with 124,300 miles and its been fine, manual trans, original clutch, etc

these are good cars, so you might have to recharge the AC, and the engine might drink oil, but it all depends on what your priorities are i guess..

basically these cars to need more maintenance than a lot of other cars, but they do last

id drive it for a little just to be sure you know what youre getting as well
OP, if you like the car, just get a full detail of what when replaced/fixed and at what mileage and we can help figure out what's to be expected in the near future. The i6 engine is known to hold well into the 300k so long there is no history of overheating and oil changes were done religiously. 4700 is a good price and you can even negotiate it down,...
Just my .02 -- I think the mileage on these cars matters less than how they were maintained. With regular fluid changes and some other regular maintenance, and a manual transmission, I wouldn't hesitate to spend $4700 on a facelift 325i that is in good condition, even with 200k miles. Fact is, with proactive maintenance and a few repairs, you could easily get another 100k out of that car, which is what most people see as the "life" of a brand new car these days anyway. Just make sure you get a PPI so you know what has been and needs to be done. Also, as others have suggested, make sure you have some cash set aside for unexpected repairs, since things will pop up from time to time.

There's a guy in my town who specializes in selling high-mileage used BMWs. He gets them at auction or from dealers who don't want to have 10 year-old trade-ins on their lots, fixes whatever needs to be fixed, and sells them to people who want a reliable German car, but don't want to spend $50k at the dealership. He doesn't really advertise; all his business is from referrals and repeat customers, who are obviously happy with the cars he is able to get them. So that's just some anecdotal evidence that a lot of people get these cars with high miles and are fine with them.
Insinuating I am a "fanboy" is disrespectful. And nobody cares how many cars you own.
I didn't mean to disrespect any BMW fanboy on here
insinuating Japanese Econobox and assuming I am not a BMW owner is also disrespectful, unless you own multiple cars you truly dont know what they're about, also my whole family has owned BMWs, Porsches, Mercedes and many other Japanese cars so I know a thing or 2 about these brands, your views are obviously biased, you dont know me or anyone so dont make assumptions, i didnt exactly quote you or disagree with your stance, from the comments you made above it seemed you came on very strongly about the BMW brand and how they're "superior" to other brands which is totally not true. Please refer to my original comments above, I would advise any young 17 yo to buy a car which they can afford, you can drive a BMW and look "cool" but at the end of the day it comes down to money, the average 17 yo is just starting to work and going to college and they have other expenses to worry about instead of hefty maintenance fees for a BMW. If he was a college grad with a steady job then my advice to him would certainly be different
Insinuating I am a "fanboy" is disrespectful. And nobody cares how many cars you own.
Let's all just agree to disagree on this one guys. No need to get uptight. It's all just our opinions anyway, and we all know that everyone has one, and they may be different. We all have to remember that the OP is 17, and may not be able to do his own work, and repair prices on Japanese vehicles tend to be more reasonable. Just my 2 cents.
Exactly what i was trying to say, you have to look at the situation and everyone is in a different stage or budget in their lives, you dont see many 17 yr olds driving these cars....unless mommy and daddy are paying for all the costs, you always have to consider priorities, do you want to drive a luxury auto with costly repairs or do you want to have something that's equally or more reliable and more affordable?
Let's all just agree to disagree on this one guys. No need to get uptight. It's all just our opinions anyway, and we all know that everyone has one, and they may be different. We all have to remember that the OP is 17, and may not be able to do his own work, and repair prices on Japanese vehicles tend to be more reasonable. Just my 2 cents.
Right there is where I would say is a deal breaker. Having to do this says how little or no care was given to the vehicle. Mechanical wear is a given but something like upholstery?...

BMW's are for those who can appreciate the brand over all else, and is not for everyone with respect to age, pocket and lifestyle.

OP your ambition is admirable but you may be hanging your hat higher than you can reach it. If you really want a BMW, it's best the parents are factored into it, (for cost reasons) and/or wait a while for something more cared for, younger and with less mileage.
Hopefully, the aim is not to impress.

My 2 cent
I'm pretty sure that he took care of the car because he reupholstered the inside with cloth he ordered from bmw in Germany,
The thing, though, is one can almost always post valid reasons and argue against buying a BMW at any stage in one's life: rightly from 17yo with other expenses or the middle aged worrying about mortgage payments to the older guy who should be nesting for retirement.

Sometimes, people worry too much about other's situations yet have little knowledge of and I can't help but wonder whether it's really 'worry' or something else! :dunno:
insinuating Japanese Econobox and assuming I am not a BMW owner is also disrespectful, unless you own multiple cars you truly dont know what they're about, also my whole family has owned BMWs, Porsches, Mercedes and many other Japanese cars so I know a thing or 2 about these brands, your views are obviously biased, you dont know me or anyone so dont make assumptions, i didnt exactly quote you or disagree with your stance, from the comments you made above it seemed you came on very strongly about the BMW brand and how they're "superior" to other brands which is totally not true. Please refer to my original comments above, I would advise any young 17 yo to buy a car which they can afford, you can drive a BMW and look "cool" but at the end of the day it comes down to money, the average 17 yo is just starting to work and going to college and they have other expenses to worry about instead of hefty maintenance fees for a BMW. If he was a college grad with a steady job then my advice to him would certainly be different
^^
I sort of dagree. My interior is completely destroyed in my bimmer. But mechanicaly it's maintained EXTREMELY well. I know you guys have seen all my threads. I fix my bimmer constantly if anything goes wrong. As for the interior... its tan and dyed with oil stains and smells like race car inside. I can get all black interior for $400 but I'd rather spend that on maintenance for my other car.
well he asked for our opinion and sometimes one needs someone else's insight, for example I as well have made rash purchases based on admiration for a certain brand name or auto maker and have to admit that sometimes I have come to regret the purchases, just because it appeals to everyone else it does not mean it is right for everyone, dont get me wrong BMW makes some great cars but they're not for everyone because of maintenance costs, "lack of mechanics" which is bogus because I know some good mechanics that can handle any vehicle they see and of course availability of parts, insurance premiums is a huge one....at 17 you're looking at some high premiums if you own a BMW
The thing, though, is one can almost always post valid reasons and argue against buying a BMW at any stage in one's life: rightly from 17yo with other expenses or the middle aged worrying about mortgage payments to the older guy who should be nesting for retirement.

Sometimes, people worry too much about other's situations yet have little knowledge of and I can't help but wonder whether it's really 'worry' or something else! :dunno:
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.