BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am Matt. I've a 2003 325XI that I bought being told it needed a starter. Pain in the backside! Done and new battery. When I turn the key nothing, power(to dash windows etc), no "click"
Or anything from starter. Fuses(5amp) good. Next?? Crank sensor(how to test), EWS??? Or key? Any and all advice appreciated and welcomed!
Matt

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
7,300 Posts
If you don't even get a "click" I'd start with fuses, relays or the ignition switch.
Someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe a bad key or EWS would still allow it to crank, it just wouldn't allow it to start (no injectors or spark).
Just curious, when you turn the key to position 2 can you hear the fuel pump? A bad pump would stop the engine from running but not from cranking, and neither would the crank position sensor.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If it's a straight drive, make sure the clutch is all the way to the floor. It has a "start defeat" switch at the clutch pedal. If auto, try repositioning the gear shifter or try "N". It also has a "start defeat" switch if IIRC. These are the basics.
Then you need to go into a process of elimination. Search youtube for no crank. Here's a good one

BMW E46 E39 No Crank No Start Diagnostics

·
Wingnut
5,196 Posts
If you don't even get a "click" I'd start with fuses, relays or the ignition switch.
Someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe a bad key or EWS would still allow it to crank, it just wouldn't allow it to start (no injectors or spark).
Just curious, when you turn the key to position 2 can you hear the fuel pump? A bad pump would stop the engine from running but not from cranking, and neither would the crank position sensor.
fyi-bad key/EWS/or interface tween the two would inhibit cranking over of the car. DME-EWS sync issue or no signal from crank pos sensor would inhibit spark and fuel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, it doesn't crank or turn over, some cars you may hear a click or the starter try but nothing. I don't hear the fuel pump but read that I may need a person in the back seat as another cranks. I will go try now. Ty

·
Wingnut
5,196 Posts
lifting the rear seat will allow you to hear the pump better. get your hands on INPA or a good BWM specific scanner to read what the car is doing when you insert the key etc. i honestly dont recommend the dealer for anything, find yourself a good euro car shop that is experienced with BMW's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts