BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my 2003 330i last night and while poking around noticed the trim inside the left side of the trunk already has the little door hatch deal ready to accept the CD changer. When I installed the changer in my 2000 328i, I had to order the replacement trim piece with the door on it.

Is this new for 2003? My dealer thought so.

Saves me about $80 bucks installing the CD changer.

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
Alan Flanary said:
...replacement trim piece with the door on it.
On my 2003 325xiT with dealer-installed changer, there isn't a door at all - there's just the access hatch, same as on the right. Is this a "feature" of the wagons, or am I missing something? This could become a big PITA, particularly with a load of stuff in the back. If I'm missing the door, anybody know the part number(s)?

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Re: Re: 2003 330i CD Changer Trim Already There

Terry Kennedy said:

On my 2003 325xiT with dealer-installed changer, there isn't a door at all - there's just the access hatch, same as on the right. Is this a "feature" of the wagons, or am I missing something? This could become a big PITA, particularly with a load of stuff in the back. If I'm missing the door, anybody know the part number(s)?
There are two different panels for the driver side in the rear of the Touring. One is recessed similar to the passenger side panel, and the other takes a up a few more cubic inches of the cargo area. The latter comes from the factory with the NAV option. That panel is also required for the CD changer. Neither panel has a door.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was told yesterday at the PC that the rear panels are new for 03 to accomodate the CD-changer. I have the navi installed, and there is a perfect little plastic cubby bin made especially for the cd changer right above the navi unit.

This car couldn't be more perfect.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 2003 330i CD Changer Trim Already There

Here are pics of the wagon trim pieces... original on the left.

There are two different panels for the driver side in the rear of the Touring. One is recessed similar to the passenger side panel, and the other takes a up a few more cubic inches of the cargo area. The latter comes from the factory with the NAV option. That panel is also required for the CD changer. Neither panel has a door.

Attachments

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
What is required to install the changer in the 2003 ?

I have a CD Changer that I never installed in my 330Ci and I would like to put it into the 03

The CD Changer came out of a 97 Z3 (or whatever year was the first Z3) I forgot since we got rid of that car soooooo long ago!!

Would it work in the 2003 ?

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 2003 330i CD Changer Trim Already There

Neither panel has a door.
Bummer. I do have the larger panel that others have described. I wonder why the touring got the door-less panel while the other models seem to have a door? I guess it's just another BMW mystery (like why the side-view-mirror selector switch doesn't have a center-off position)...

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Alan Flanary said:
Picked up my 2003 330i last night and while poking around noticed the trim inside the left side of the trunk already has the little door hatch deal ready to accept the CD changer. When I installed the changer in my 2000 328i, I had to order the replacement trim piece with the door on it.

Is this new for 2003? My dealer thought so.

Saves me about $80 bucks installing the CD changer.
I do remember my salesman saying that this trim part with the door was now standard on the 2003 cars.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: 2003 330i CD Changer Trim Already There

pps-325xit said:
Here are pics of the wagon trim pieces... original on the left.

I've got a 2003 325xiT coming in that I would want to install a CD changer in. Does this mean that I will have to get a new side wall panel to accomodate the changer?

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2003 330i CD Changer Trim Already There

mbushnell said:

I've got a 2003 325xiT coming in that I would want to install a CD changer in. Does this mean that I will have to get a new side wall panel to accomodate the changer?
If you don't have NAV, then yes, you will need the new panel in addition to the bracket.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2003 330i CD Changer Trim Already There

mbushnell said:

Oh well, more money to support my local dealership (or online). How much additional are the brackets & the new panel for a 325xiT (over the cost of the changer itself)?
I think the list prices (give or take) are about $30 for the bracket and $60 for the panel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.