BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car starts but has no power and idles real bad I pulled 5 codes out of it ..... I'm new to owning a BMW so can any one help me with what could be making it feel like it lost all power and sound like the exhaust is off a boat ? just need a direction to start I was thinkin a sensor throwing it all off like maybe cam sensor ? 20190219_123152.jpeg 20190219_123145.jpeg 20190219_123138.jpeg 20190219_123133.jpeg 20190219_123127.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Keeping it surreal
43,097 Posts
P0171 & 174 are the two most common codes, and usually relate to a vacuum leak. Make a smoke tester (several good DIYs on YouTube), and check it yourself, save some money. The P0505 is often the idle control valve, which can be removed and sprayed with carb cleaner, that sometimes solves the problem.
The P1345 might be a dirty injector, you can try swapping positions with a different injector, and see if the fault code follows that injector, or try a bottle of Techron Injector Cleaner first, it`s good stuff !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P0171 & 174 are the two most common codes, and usually relate to a vacuum leak. Make a smoke tester (several good DIYs on YouTube), and check it yourself, save some money. The P0505 is often the idle control valve, which can be removed and sprayed with carb cleaner, that sometimes solves the problem.
The P1345 might be a dirty injector, you can try swapping positions with a different injector, and see if the fault code follows that injector, or try a bottle of Techron Injector Cleaner first, it`s good stuff !
hey thank you it sounds like I got a fan by the intake or if you can relate to a vacuum noise it sounds like i have a open line or something sucking air but all hoses seem to be connected ... but i heard the intake hose from maf sensor location goes back where it connects to the intake at engine block ? could this possible be making it run like that ? also another thing is I been putting regular gas in I live in South Carolina we dont get snow and it gets to the 30s sometimes thank you any and all advice from here would be greatly appreciated sir

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Definitely have the intake smoke tested. I highly recommend that you buy gas from a station that sells top tier gas. Go to www.toptiergas.com to find a station near you. Why? Modern fuel injectors need a gas that has the proper detergents to keep them clean. The top tier gas cleaning standard was developed jointly by BMW and several other car makers. I’ve been buying only top tier gas since the standard was created. A few years ago I replaced the fuel injector o-rings on my 2001 330Ci. The business end of the injector was pristine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely have the intake smoke tested. I highly recommend that you buy gas from a station that sells top tier gas. Go to www.toptiergas.com to find a station near you. Why? Modern fuel injectors need a gas that has the proper detergents to keep them clean. The top tier gas cleaning standard was developed jointly by BMW and several other car makers. I’ve been buying only top tier gas since the standard was created. A few years ago I replaced the fuel injector o-rings on my 2001 330Ci. The business end of the injector was pristine.
thank you for all of your information I believe the air is sucking threw the disa sorry for missed spellings but between that and the boot on the intake I think that's where my issue is from self diagnosis so far but thank you again

·
Registered
447 Posts
Here’s what I would do.

Order the upper and lower intake boots. Even if they look good, they are old and will probably develop cracks while maneuvering them.
It’s 15+ year old rubber. Time to replace it anyway.

Next pull of the intake, and take out the DISA and the ICV (idle control valve).

A simple google/youtube search will show you how to do this and also show you how to tell if they are bad.

The ICV can be cleaned. The disa can be rebuilt.

Get some good fuel And clear the codes.

The misfire could’ve been a one time thing but if the code come back up you can swap injectors to see if the code follows, like Fast Bob said.

Good luck.

Edit: Also if you can’t find top tier gas you should still be running at least 91octane or above.

I’ve never actually heard of TopTier gas. Not saying it doesn’t work, but I’ve never had an issue with 91+ octane.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 6 of 6 Posts