BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only will be putting 4,000 or 5,000 miles annually on a new 2003 325 3-Series Coupe. This will be my first BMW and I am confused.

My dealer's service manager here in the United States said that it is his dealer's policy to provide an annual no-cost change of oil and filter "regardless" of what the computer says (especially on cars with low mileage). Same goes for the 2 year interval for coolant flush and brake fluid flush.

Is this a dealer specific thing, or a BMWNA required policy?

Or is the no-cost maintenance only what the computer says, regardless of what the BMW maintenance schedule requires?

The Owner's info says the time frame that the computer tracks is from the date of manufacture and not delivery.

Do I understand all this stuff correctly or am I missing some fine print somewhere here? Can anyone confirm this?

I looked at a sevice interval manual and it indeed requires 2 years from date of manufacture for coolant flush and brake fluid flush. I also thought I saw an annual oil and filter change as a requirement regardless of mileage.

On that basis, would it make sense for me to bring it in on it's manufactured anniversary dates for the annual service or bi-annual service even though the annual mileage accumulation will only be around 5,000 miles each year?

For example, my car manufacture date is to be on or about Nov 7, 2002 and I take delivery on it in mid-late Dec 2002. Does that mean I'll get the first and second coolant and brake fluid flushes included within my 4 year no-cost maintenance program as long as I bring in the car on or just after every other Nov 7th manufacture date? Plus 4 annual oil changes? All at no cost?

All very confusing .... I've been getting lot's of different conflicting info on other forums .... some of which have been somewhat snotty.

Can anyone help here with some straight talk?

Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Coolant and brake fluid service intervals are based on your car's production date.
Brake fluid flush every 2 years, coolant flush every 4 years.

Oil change at 12 month intervals based on your purchase/delivery date, if the service indicator does not call for an oil service/inspection sooner.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
However ..........

Doesn't the fine print say "as indicated by the On Board Computer" with the only policy official BMW policy excemption so far being the low mileage annual oil changes?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Correct, but the OBC only tracks mileage between oil service/inspection I/inspection II.

Things like like brake fluid flush, coolant flush are based on time from production date, you need to keep track of this yourself.

Don't forget to get your wiper blades changed, I have them changed twice a year. Again you have to ask for it.

Also, brakes are replaced based on wear (when the brake sensor light comes on).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Chris

So I can assume that the Brake Fluid and Auto Trans Fluid Change would be included in the 4 year/50000 mile No Cost Maintanence Program as long as I ask to have it done like the wiper blades?

My situation would be about 40,000 miles at 4 years from production date, which would be about 6 weeks ahead of delivery date ......... so I'd get the 4 year Tranny fluid done at no cost plus two bi-annual brake flushes .... right?

·
Registered
163 Posts
No transmission service, it has 'lifetime' fluid in there.

My dealer's service department is not super strict about the dates, I called this spring to get the 1 year oil change on the anniversary date & they said just bring it right in, as long as you're within a month no problem.

So in your situation you'd be getting the oil changes, oil service, Inspection I, 2 brake flushes, 1 coolant flush, wipers, maybe a set of brakes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts