BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a '03 525i w/ 55k miles. i went over the car and have seen no body work done on vehicle. Asking price is $19000. Now I know what your thinking---to good to be true. First this is a dealer selling the car and the only thing I can see is that it has a vibration in the steering while driving. this seems to be somewhat common! Alignment, balance, control arm bushing, rotors etc. Any insight would be appreciated. Salesman says----this car has been on lot for over six months and need to unload. I know what these are bringing at Ohio, Wisconsin Manaheim Auctions----is it to good to be true? Offered $18k and he let me walk outside of showroom after he said no- then I told him I was leaving after offering him $18500---he knew I live 2 1/2 hours away---LET ME WALK AGAIN:dunno: . I don't know---most things that are to good to be true really are. Any help would be appreciated considering I'm thinking about picking the car up on Monday.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That sounds like a pretty sweet deal. I think it really mostly depends on the overall condition of the car. E39's are well designed and well built cars, and 2003 is probably the most reliable, trouble free. Although I've heard of some people say they prefer the pre-2000 double vanos engines, but you do get 30~40 more hp, and that does make a huge difference.

I drive a 528i, and let me share with you my experience. After getting my car, I upgraded the brakes, and suspension, wheels, tires, and the car drove like new, better than anything I've ever driven before at least as far as sedans go. My interior and exterior was like new except for driver's seat, which seems to be common as BMW's are driver's cars.

As far as mechanics goes, my 8 year old car is feeling better than ever. I've had to change the trunk actuator, battery, water pump, and thermostat, and few missing pieces of underbody covers.

Water pump, and thermostat was the only thing I had to get changed at the dealer, and it didn't cost much, and it was common thing to fail.

2003 will not have any of these problems, and will probably be cleaner. However, I got mine for $14000, then I spend some leftover budget to bring car back to driving like new.

I think any E39 you buy will make you happy, but my word of advice to you now is don't get the 525i, get the 530i. They're both same breed of inline six engine. 2.5 is slightly smaller, and less tuned, and drives less strong, which also makes it last longer, and more maintenance free, but believe as they say, there is no replacement for displacement, and I know that V8 of 540 scared me with the gas prices so high, so 530i is what I would have bought, only I bought a 528i instead with single vanos, and in exceptional condition. I have like 30 less hp than 530i, and no matter how much you tune the car, BMW's HP does not go up by much unless you supercharge, hence the saying there is no replacement for displacement. So. get 530i used in good interior exterior condition. Interior Exterior is nearly very expensive tidiious to replace, get one that is already in good conditon and in the colors that you want, and don't worry too much about mechanics as I believe E39's were really well designed, and they are easily maintaineded, and broken parts are easily replaced to make the car run great again.

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
RyanH said:
Looking at a '03 525i w/ 55k miles. i went over the car and have seen no body work done on vehicle. Asking price is $19000. Now I know what your thinking---to good to be true.
Not really... I know what these cars do at the auction, and if they are desperate to get off this car, that is a the right price to ask. That car will do $17,000-19,000 at the auction with that mileage.

What is the equipment level? 5-speed or auto? premium pack? sport pack?

·
Registered
117 Posts
How about CarFax? Is it clean? With 55k miles, the car is out of warranty, so you need to be very careful here. I would ask the dealer if he allows the car to be taken out for an inspection or even called a mobile car inspector on site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carfax shows no problems- BMW dealership will do 100 pt. inspection for $175.00. Asked my dealer if that was ok and they said they would deliver to my place of inspection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts