BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of purchasing a 2003 540i M Sport below. I've always wanted one of these but I've been hesitant to get one because the cost of ownership. But I'm not getting younger so I think it's time to enjoy the finer things in life. What do you guys think? Is this a fair price in this economy? I already test drove the car and it seems fine other than a few dings and scratches. If I do decide to get it, i'm definitely going to get a pre-purchase inspection. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/2702168687.html

·
Registered
762 Posts
Not a bad price, considering similar '03s are going for 15k with the same miles. FYI there are always ways to save a dollar here and there by doing DIYs. This forum is rich with information you can use.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nice. The price is not bad too according to her milage. However, I thought all the 540i with M package come with navigation system. Make sure it has black headliner and M badges on the door sills just to make sure it's an M.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Actually very rare to find 03 M with Navi. I've only seen it once
Considering there was only about 2400 made of which 1250 were manual that is def a fair price.

I however would highly recommend getting one with manual trans.
Guy on bimmerforums is selling black on black manual for around that price with many maintenance items completed.
Can get you link if interested

·
Registered
85 Posts
Although my 2000 540i M Sport wagon came with navigation, I would consider it a blessing that one doesn't have it. Navigation on a car that old doesn't compare to the nav a droid smartphone with cradle offers and if (when) the nav drive has problems, the whole computer display craps out (what I'm dealing with now).

·
Read Only
290 Posts
Impossible!
I wouldn't say impossible.

If i was gonna spend 13 grand on a 5 series E39, id add a couple more grand on top of that and get an E60 5 series.

Or spend a good 15 grand, and get a hell of a 2001 M5.

No E39 is worth more than 9 grand in my opinion, regardless of the mileage, unless it had 20,000 miles or something, then i might give it a second thought.

·
Registered
315 Posts
M5 yes, but 540i with M package and Nav is pretty rare.
Also I wouldnt want a 12k M5. I can only imagine how much the neglect will cost me in the long run.
That was an S next to the M not a 5 btw :D
I was saying all the 03 540i with M package that I'd seen in real life here in Michigan also online, whether on Craigslist or Autotrader, are equipped with navigation, so that's why I was wondering and never thought there are some without.

No E39 is worth more than 9 grand in my opinion, regardless of the mileage, unless it had 20,000 miles or something, then i might give it a second thought.
I need some of the stuff you've been smoking today bro :rofl:

·
Registered
3 Posts
How about this one?

If i was gonna spend 13 grand on a 5 series E39, id add a couple more grand on top of that and get an E60 5 series.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...0814131?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27c0597ab3

FWIW, I was at this sellers lot looking at an E34 525i touring to haul bikes etc. and I happened upon this VF supercharged 540i M Sport. It looked clean and presents an alternative to an M5 (esp. if one HAS to have an automatic.: puke:)

It was clean, but maybe priced a little strong. However, considering the investment in modifications, lest costly then trying to replicate.

·
Read Only
290 Posts
I was saying all the 03 540i with M package that I'd seen in real life here in Michigan also online, whether on Craigslist or Autotrader, are equipped with navigation, so that's why I was wondering and never thought there are some without.

I need some of the stuff you've been smoking today bro :rofl:
Rami! are you serious man???

You'd spend more than 15 grand on an 2001 M5???? (Maybe if it has 30,000 miles). every number i provided was well calculated.

Check again man! If youd pay that much for a 540, then come buy my car tonight. I have every record since day 1. One owner too!.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I agree with Rami, you have to spend at least 15k for a decent M5. The good ones go for 20k.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oh sorry, my experience has been exact opposite. Only seen one and it was online.

There were more M5 produced in 03 than 540 M package.
You can't compare this car's value same as other 540s.

E39 after 80k fall apart?
You are out of your mind.
Tell that to this guy.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=23134116#post23134116

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.