1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I just joined, and want to say hi,

I also have a problem,

I had a 1998 528i when I was living in Canada. And I was so happy with it. So, when I moved to Mexico a few years ago, I bought a 2003 540i. it turned out to be a big mistake, I have had so many problems with it. Apparently, the hot and humid weather here is not very kind on the BMWs.

Now I have a problem with my blower unit.

A while back I could smell something gradually burning, and then after a few days the blower stopped blowing. I have replaced the resistor unit and the expansion valve, with used but almost new ones. the old resistor did not look or smell like its been burnt. And the blower motor also the same, does not smell, and if I connect it to power, it blows and has 100% connectivity using an ohmmeter. But the plug connecting to motor when the unit is on does not have any power. Every thing has been very confusing to me on this particular 540i. Is there something wrong with the power on/off unit? Is there any way to check the resistor unit?

I appreciate any help or impute. Thanks,

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Hello everybody,

I just joined, and want to say hi,

I also have a problem,

I had a 1998 528i when I was living in Canada. And I was so happy with it. So, when I moved to Mexico a few years ago, I bought a 2003 540i. it turned out to be a big mistake, I have had so many problems with it. Apparently, the hot and humid weather here is not very kind on the BMWs.

Now I have a problem with my blower unit.

A while back I could smell something gradually burning, and then after a few days the blower stopped blowing. I have replaced the resistor unit and the expansion valve, with used but almost new ones. the old resistor did not look or smell like its been burnt. And the blower motor also the same, does not smell, and if I connect it to power, it blows and has 100% connectivity using an ohmmeter. But the plug connecting to motor when the unit is on does not have any power. Every thing has been very confusing to me on this particular 540i. Is there something wrong with the power on/off unit? Is there any way to check the resistor unit?

I appreciate any help or impute. Thanks,
Welcome aboard!

EDIT - I moved your question to our E39 5 Series forum, you'll get more help in here.

Tim

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
removing the sunroof inner liner

Hi everyone,

Anybody has a fresh memory on how to remove the sunroof inner liner on a 2003 540i?

I need to re-glue all of my inner liners. The upholstery shops could re an re all the parts, except the sunroof liner.

I have done it a long time ago, and do not remember it clearly.

Thanks,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Jim,

This video, and the replies do not say anything about the inner liner. But it refreshed my memory. I believe that I have to take my Metal sunroof out, before I could get the liner out.

My sunroof is jammed a bit, so it could use a re and re service/lubrication. I just hope that the outer rubber seal is not brutally dried up, and break to pieces. :)

Thank you very much,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update on my blower/FSU,

I checked the power going in and out of FSU. There is power going in and nothing is going out, to the blower. It appears that the used FSU that I bought, is also faulty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts