Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this article from May 2003 Roundel. I did not realize the auto transmission chnaged to a shorter 3.15:1 final drive ratio vs. the standard 2.81:1 slushbox. Results proved only a 0.2 second shortfall vs. the 6-speed in 0-60. Maybe my slushbox isn't as bad as I thought.

Anyway, interesting read.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
Just an FYI...the sport pkg for the 540i with auto tranny (I know starting in 1999-up...but perhaps 1998, too when the sport pkg 1st debuted) included the shorter 3:15 ratio final drive...as did the 99-up 540iT (wagons) regardless if they had the sport pkg or not. This is probably one of the reasons the e39 V8 sedans with the official "sport pkg" option are highly prized by e39 enthusiasts. :)

And the article you reference "Out with a Bang" is definitely a keeper for any e39 lover...especially the "special" 2003 540i sport sold in the US market. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just an FYI...the sport pkg for the 540i with auto tranny (I know starting in 1999-up...but perhaps 1998, too when the sport pkg 1st debuted) included the shorter 3:15 ratio final drive...as did the 99-up 540iT (wagons) regardless if they had the sport pkg or not. This is probably one of the reasons the e39 V8 sedans with the official "sport pkg" option are highly prized by e39 enthusiasts. :)

And the article you reference "Out with a Bang" is definitely a keeper for any e39 lover...especially the "special" 2003 540i sport sold in the US market. :thumbup:

I feel so special after reading this article.:rofl:;):rofl:;)

·
Constantly Learning
2,020 Posts
This article has been making the rounds on BaT, a few 2003 M-Sports have been sold recently and its been E39 central lately. Including one with 2K miles, went for $54,500, know you saw that Joe.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This article has been making the rounds on BaT, a few 2003 M-Sports have been sold recently and its been E39 central lately. Including one with 2K miles, went for $54,500, know you saw that Joe.

It’s crazy how many clean low mile E39s have been up for auction. There are at least 2 or 3 live at anytime.

Yeah, I actually saw the picture of the article on a BaT auction and decided to put my BMWCCA membership to work. I looked up the issue and PDFd the pages to share here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Constantly Learning
2,020 Posts
Highly recommend looking into CCA DIY events. Best part of the membership.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts