BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 03 540, and came across this.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...03&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=28

Looks good from the ad from all that I know :eek:, but am I looking for trouble with the vehicle having such a high mileage? I haven't run a CarFax, and I haven't gone to look at the car yet, so don't know anymore than what's posted on the ad.

Any e39 experts care to chime in on there thoughts? :thumbup:
Is this a car worth looking at, or stay away? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
If it's what you want, I'd say don't sweat it. Set aside $1500-2000 in a first-year repair budget. You are buying a 5 year old car with about 7 years worth of mileage on it....check out the repair work that's been done. If the cooling system hasn't been done, and done right, plan on doing that.

Most 2002-2003 e39's are now approaching the 60-90k mark, where it appears lotsa stuff can need fixing or upgrading (camshaft position sensors, coolant systems, etc.).

If you are serious about buying it, get it inspected thoroughly. Know what you are getting into.

Joe

·
Registered
166 Posts
wow that's a pretty good price.
I would jump on it.
90K miles is nuttin

As the last poster said, just put aside some money to take care of repairs/maintenance that would normally occur at that mileage and you're good

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I might add that a car with those miles could actually be better off - because the likely hood that it's on the second cooling system (among other items) is higher than if the car had say, 60 or 70 k on it.

Just food for thought... Like evryone will tell you - have it thoroughly checked out...

Looks SWEET by the way..

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might add that a car with those miles could actually be better off - because the likely hood that it's on the second cooling system (among other items) is higher than if the car had say, 60 or 70 k on it.

Just food for thought... Like evryone will tell you - have it thoroughly checked out...

Looks SWEET by the way..
What's the recommended process in having "it thoroughly checked out"?
Is this something that any BMW dealership will do for a fee?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

It sounded like a good deal to be, but like mama always said "If it sounds too good to be true than it is".

I'll have to make a trip to check it out.

Does anyone have recommendation for a dealership in the Fairfax Va area where I can get the car checked out?

BTW, is this a typical process that a Used Car Dealership would allow?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I think the link is bimrs.org, but somebody correct me. Look for a local independent BMW specialty shop to do the inspection. Expect $100-200 charge, and only do it if it's the last thing before you plunk your money down to buy it.

They will inspect the car from as many angles as possible to give you a report of what you can expect if you buy it. How does the brake system look/feel? How does the clutch feel? Transmission? Engine? How are the rubber parts in the suspension holding up? Exhaust leaks or significant rust? Cooling system? Any wheel bearing noise? Play in the steering system? Tire wear looks even? Any prior body damage that the seller is not disclosing should be noticed as well. If there was body work, a good inspection should reveal if it was done well or not.

On a Honda Civic, it's not such a big deal to get such an inspection. Even if you miss something major, you won't have to drop more than $2500 to fix it. On a BMW, things can get pricey.

Set aside the cash upfront. If you don't have the cash, I wouldn't recommend buying it. You won't necessarily use the cash, but know that it's there if you need it. $1500-2000 will go a long way if something needs to be done.

lastly, you want records. If the seller doesn't have extensive records, get the VIN and go to a BMW dealership. They can't provide you with copies of the records, but they can provide you with what's been done to the car. If the car wasn't serviced by BMW (and therefore no BMW records), and the seller doesn't have records, I'd recommend one of two courses of action:

1. Look for another car
2. Get the seller to drop the price even from whatever you negotiated (i.e. I think good records are worth $1000-1500 alone, even if the car looks good). If they don't drop, walk.

To give an example of how this works for me:

If I'm looking at a car negotiated to 15k w/ 90k miles and it has extensive records, 15k sounds good. If I'm looking at a car whereby we had a verbal agreement of $15k and then when I inspected it there were no records, I'd drop my price to 13.5-14k simply because I don't know WHAT was done to the car and will need to do a series of preventative maintenance steps to ensure nothing is left undone.

Make sense?

Joe

·
Registered
252 Posts
Too Many Miles or too Little mechanical skill ?

I bought a 1999 with 80,000 on it, and other than replacing a coolant reservoir and sensor there has been nothing to do. I have replaced things that were obviously wrong or broken such as cupholders, coolant reservoir and sensor, plastic parts, door gaskets, a/c control buttons and cloudy headlights. I bought it from a Toyota dealer for $5,000. under book. First check the selling dealer, and especially if it was a leased car, you will have more than enough records to make an informed choice, and they will give it to you free.

I used to say it about Cadillacs and now I say it about BMW's. God only gives them to people who can afford them, and people who can fix them. I would never recommend a woman or man uninterested in car maintenance buying one that was out of warranty.

At 100,000 miles al cars need plugs ans wires a transmission flush and filters etc. Remember an oil change on Bimmer is around $140. because it is synthetic oil. You can buy the oilat Sam's Club for $3.50 a qt. but you need eight quarts. You can do front brakes for $40. but the dealer will probably charge $400.

If you can't do it, don't buy it.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
As long as it was maintained you're good. I bought mine that was serviced properly its whole life with 99k on it. And it is great. The only thing mine needs is are a couple of o2 sensors... Other than that, smooth sailing...

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
the link is dead, but i see you're in nova--was that the 2003 540i M-sport with the Dinan stuff the guy locally was selling? i was also looking (up until recently) at buying a similar car, until i concluded that i don't need the maintenance headaches (i can't even change my oil, although i believe i am finally comfortable checking it myself).

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

It sounded like a good deal to be, but like mama always said "If it sounds too good to be true than it is".

I'll have to make a trip to check it out.

Does anyone have recommendation for a dealership in the Fairfax Va area where I can get the car checked out?

BTW, is this a typical process that a Used Car Dealership would allow?
Check out Fairfax BMW, they are right off 29. try bargaining (sometimes it works :thumbup: )
Hope its as clean under the hood, good luck!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would not have Fairfax BMW do a PPI. Go to an indy shop like Fairfax Service Center (across the street from FFX BMW) or J&F in Arlington.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tire rims...

wow that's a pretty good price.
I would jump on it.
90K miles is nuttin

As the last poster said, just put aside some money to take care of repairs/maintenance that would normally occur at that mileage and you're good
what make & model are your rims please?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts