BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2003 540i in Alpine White after months of searching. I'm very happy with the car even though it's an auto. Overall, the car is in very good condition with only one previous owner. One of the minor flaws was the speakers popping, so I plan to upgrade the spekears eventually and may even do the amp, while maintaining the factory look and steering wheel controls.

My most immediate concern is a small dent on the front rim. I thought about going with 19" wheels, but don't want to encounter the same problem again, so it may be best to get it repaired ASAP. While I'm at it, I may go ahead and get all the 4 wheels powercoated in black, gunmetal, or somewhere in between. I've seen a post somewhere with a guy who had a similar setup on an AW e39 with snow in the background, but there were no profile shots to get a better look at the wheels (Found the link to edirty9's car pictures, see below). I'm thinking to keep the wheel lip in the original polished alloy finish and the rest powercoated. I'm not sure what the going rates are to do this, but it should look nice as I've seen many white car these days with the darker wheels.

Any pictures and/or shop recommendations in SoCal would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Z

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346621&highlight=wheel+refinishing&page=6

·
Freude am Fahren
2,400 Posts
If I had an AW E39,I'd do everything i could to make it look just like this:

end of discussion.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those are definitely nice looking LM's on that AW, especially since they look like 19's. I've seen some good deal's locally on 19's, but the consensus here and the tire shop tell me to stick with 18's. Still pondering the power coat on the existing mpars, but too bad I can't find some pictures of white e39's with them.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I honestly would like to see what style 37 M Pars would look like painted silver. Not like the body color or anything cheesy, I mean like factory silver painted wheels you see from many mfg's. Factory M-Pars are polished and look good but any shinier and I wouldn't want them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plan on going with a dark color vs silver to give the white color of the car a nice contrast. I'll visit the shop later in the week and check out all the colors.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I plan on going with a dark color vs silver to give the white color of the car a nice contrast. I'll visit the shop later in the week and check out all the colors.
Do a search for "hypersilver" if you want to go darker for contrast. I'd just keep it with some sort of silver, be it hyper, polished, powder, etc. Don't consider chrome, and black would be too much contrast imho.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with the black being too much of a contrast. I have yet to find sample pics of hyper black/silver on an AW e39 with Mpars. I did find some pics of hyper black/silver CSL's on e46's, e90's and a few e60's in white & they did look nice, but not really sure how it would look on an e39.

·
-------------------------
1,643 Posts
I honestly would like to see what style 37 M Pars would look like painted silver. Not like the body color or anything cheesy, I mean like factory silver painted wheels you see from many mfg's. Factory M-Pars are polished and look good but any shinier and I wouldn't want them.
My OEM MPars arent polished, theyre painted silver, reps have the polished lip but I think the face is still painted.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Go for some shameless CHROME :bigpimp:

Actually, I think chrome wheels on white doesn't look as good as darker colors. If you are sticking with M-pars, I would leave the stock color and try to find them in 19" (good luck) staggered. Otherwise, I woulds get something as close as the BBS LM style and paint the center portion gold, that paired with a good classic drop will make your car stand out more. IMHO :thumbup::angel:

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm partial to my smoked chrome wheels

it would look nice with your white car

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm partial to my smoked chrome wheels

it would look nice with your white car
I was never into chrome or the chrome look. What's the exact name of your wheel finish? The link in the first post has black wheels on a white e39. It looks nice from some angles, but it looks way too dark from others. Just looking for some more pictures and ideas from those who've gone through this process. Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here's a black e39 with black mpars and a polished lip:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Shot at 2009-11-04
Another one with an all black finish:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Shot at 2009-11-04

·
Thebizzy.com