BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people thanks for taking the time to read my thread and reply I appreciate all the help that is given, I have a 2003 BMW 530i that had been sitting at my grandparents house for quite awhile not touched probably almost a year and I hooked jumper cables up to it and drove it home and while cleaning it out I noticed that there was water sitting on the back floor it had been there for a long time it was there while it was sitting and I was informed that it had leaked on to the back floor when my grandfather bought it. I used the shop vac to suck up most of the water but I noticed that when I pushed on the carpet there's still water underneath the carpet. I want to pull up the carpet and find out what the problem is and make sure there's no rust from the water. Has anyone out there had a problem like this ? Thanks for your time

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to our E39 5 Series forum, you'll get more help in here. My guess is the rear door seal has failed allowing water in. You should remove the carpet to get it 100% dry, I am guessing the floor pan is rusted, hopefully not too badly.

Tim

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Welcome to the board... you should run a search on vapor barrier leaks here and you will find what the issues is.. now that is common issue with these cars but you also can't rule out a clogged sunroof drain (if you have one) in either case you will find a step by step on how to do it... good luck and welcome..

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Yes, most likely the rear door vapor barrier has separated somewhat from the door allowing water into the rear floor. Very common. If you can, remove the carpet and get it completely dry. The foam padding will hold a lot of water. As a minimum remove the rear seat and pull up the carpet as much as you can. Then rent a dehumidifier and leave it in the car for a few days.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Oh yeah agreed, and also check fuse box under seat, clean and dry it..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys thanks for the reply ! What steps should I take on removing the carpet ? I'm not use to working on these types of cars I usually work on diesel trucks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I definitely need to pull up the carpet, cause there's water underneath it I can hear it splashing when I move the car. If I pull it and see rust should I just use some steel wool if it's not to bad and sand it and then paint some por-15 where the rust was ? Sorry for all the questions haha I really appreciate the help

·
Wingnut
3,893 Posts
power panel is under the passenger seat, to pull up the carpet, remove all the trim pieces at the door bottoms etc.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The water splashing that you hear is very likely coming
from the inside of the rocker panels. Water gets past the kick
panel step rocker cover sill trim and seeps through the attachment
holes along with another hole that you will find when you remove
that sill trim.

While sitting in the drivers seat, put car in drive, go forward a few feet
and stop and listen. If you can hear splashing from the left rear down
by the bottom of the rear passenger door, that's where the water is.

It could be on the right side as well, in my case it was just the left
rear passenger rocker.

One big bendable kids sip straw, some duct tape and a mini shop
vacuum did the trick.....

Also check the bottom of your spare tire space for water. If you
have never changed the tail light gaskets, I recommend that as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any precautions I should take while doing this ? If I pull the carpet will I be able to get the water out that splashes when moving the car ?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I would not move the car.. get all water out of there... if you don't find the source use a hose before closing everything back up and spray and look for the leak...don't drive it unless all water is out of there..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have not drove it since I brought it home, it was sitting since last September and on 4 flat tires and I took it cause it was a gift cause it needs work and I took it home with my dealer plate and then parked it and now I plan on fixing the problem before I put it on the road and stuff

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
530I Water Leak

O.K. i will try to explain it better this time. I know your rear rugs are soaked.
But , If you can hear water sloshing it's not from the soaked rugs. That sound
deadening padding under the rugs is super thick and holds a bunch of water and it won't slosh.

What you are describing happened to me. I would be willing to bet that if
you took out the rear carpet hold down attachment plastic screws if you will,
and press down real hard on the carpet, there will be a 6" geyser of water
that shoots up form those holes. Yes...?

Now, the sloshing is coming from inside the rocker panels. Open the
left rear passenger door. You see the door sill cover with the BMW nameplate
on it? The plastic piece that you step over to get into the car? There are four
attaching tabs on the bottom of that plastic piece that fit into four grommet holes.

Remove that piece. You need to pry it up by hand but expect to break some tabs.
When you get it off take a flashlight and look down the access hole that you will
see... it's the fifth hole. Apparently it's there for a reason. I bet you see water....

Been there and done it and removed the water....otherwise rocker panel rot from
the inside out.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Holly crap, you guys are not UBoat captains,,, get' em dry.. Rockers filled with water,, OMG!! Keep us posted..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha sorry I'm a pain with this I just wanna fix it the right way ya know ? I know you guys have experience so I rely on ya

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Holly crap, you guys are not UBoat captains,,, get' em dry.. Rockers filled with water,, OMG!! Keep us posted..
That's the best reply I've seen
in some time... I'm laughing as I
post. I so miss San Jose and the
whole Bay Area... I lived there for 15
years... Great people and lots of
gear heads .

Thanks for the laugh.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is what I have done so far, I still have to pull up the front seats and center console, after that I think I should be good to pull up the carpet ?

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Has anyone ever removed the carpet in a 2003 bmw 530i I took the seats out but don't know what else to do with the center console ****

1 - 20 of 34 Posts