Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello squad, my BMW z4 is having convertible top issues. When I push the button I can hear the motor and it will unlatch, but it will not retract or go up on it's own. What position does the lever in the trunck need to be in? And if that isn't it, witch I don't think it is, what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
12,725 Posts
If the front latch motor runs and the top unlatches, then there's no issue with the storage compartment tray position. Sounds like your pump motor has died which a very common failure on the E85 Roadster.
Trouble shooting guide attached below should help.

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
After the top unlatches and you continue to hold down the open button, can you hear the lift motor running behind the drivers seat? If so, you may have a stuck bypass valve. If not, likely dead lift motor as DC suggested.

·
Skeep
111 Posts
Am just experiencing similar failure. Upon pushing button the led simply lights w/o flashing. No sounds. Nothing happens but the light. First time in 13 years a problem issue.

Interestingly AC button not active anymore either. And, fan is on lowest setting. Sort of causes me to wonder if these are interconnected or simply an unlucky cooperation on timing by the gremlins.

As for the comment on the "tray" in the slide above. I have no idea what tray you refer to in that phrase. Could you elaborate? Is the tray in the trunk?

I will check the fuses however and dutifully report back.

·
Skeep
111 Posts
If the front latch motor runs and the top unlatches, then there's no issue with the storage compartment tray position. Sounds like your pump motor has died which a very common failure on the E85 Roadster.
Trouble shooting guide attached below should help.
Am just experiencing similar failure. Upon pushing button the led simply lights w/o flashing. No sounds. Nothing happens but the light. First time in 13 years a problem issue.

Interestingly AC button not active anymore either. And, fan is on lowest setting. Sort of causes me to wonder if these are interconnected or simply an unlucky cooperation on timing by the gremlins.

As for the comment on the "tray" in the slide above. I have no idea what tray you refer to in that phrase. Could you elaborate? Is the tray in the trunk?

·
Skeep
111 Posts

REPORT:
Solved the mystery of the inactive top. Storage tray? Perhaps, I am not sure if that is what dc_wright refers to but think it is; Manual says to turn knobs in trunk to right which lifts this tray, then to the left which drops the tray. Once dropped it functions fine. Rationale suggests that the compartment was packed full one day and interfered with the "lay" of the tray and upon executing the cockpit "button" to open, the tray was unable to respond.

Mystery solved. Sorry to bother anyone's weekend with such trivia. :eek:

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Skeep, I am glad you fixed it. As you know, that moveable tray gives you a bit more room in the trunk in the "up" position. But there is a microswitch built into it that will only let you operate the electric top with the tray in the "down" position, otherwise the fully retracted top would crush the tray.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts