BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my buddy has a 2006 vette coupe auto, stock. I have a 2003 m3 coupe smg with shark programming and afi intake. We always meet up on the way home from work. He has been toying with me now that his car is approching 1000 miles. I am a bit intimidated by his car. I did race him before. I was in a 2003 vette convertible auto and he in his new 06 (i know he should not have done this with 200 miles on the car). We were neck and neck vette versus vette...he did pull on me about a halfcar length by 60 and was begining to pull more significantly after this...had we coninued into higher speed the gap would have widened.

His car is a monster...partiularly stomping the accelerator at 30 or 60 mph...insane!

What do you think the turnout will be? I read numbers for the vette as low as 4.2 secs and as high as 5.1...

say s6 with launch control.....

say rolling 5-10 mph?

Please let me know before i embarrass myself. How bad will i lose?

·
Registered
303 Posts
ebaybrad said:
...What do you think the turnout will be? I read numbers for the vette as low as 4.2 secs and as high as 5.1...

say rolling 5-10 mph?

0-60 times don't matter. In a drag race, it's time to *distance*, not time to speed, and they are entirely separate things.

Everything else equal (see comment below), you will lose by around five car-lengths when your car reaches 100 mph, and he'll be loping away at around six or seven mph at that point. The one variable will be traction, which will be slightly in your favor.

One thing: If you're going to run him, do it ASAP. Vettes won't reach full potential until they have more than 3,000 miles on the clock. 5,000 to 7,000 would be even better for him.

Bruce

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
brad ... you are nuts ... I will not race you because if one is faster than the other it doesn't matter ... they are both awesome cars and BTW following you into the neighborhood watching that M3 from behind it looks so damn sweet ... in fact I think you should just give me the M3 for a while and continue to drive the ML :D

With that said I will race you with the Audi, I know the M3 is faster but I wouldn't mind seeing by just how much :p ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok...so lets trade cars for the day as we sometimes do and i will race you whilst driving your vette. That way, if i lose...you lost...not me!

That would make me feel a hell of alot better.

Your vette is awesome except for that stupid gm delco body by fisher sticker that you refuse to remove from the sides of your car.

As soon as I can remember to click the paddle and not bounce off the rev limiter...I will trash the a6 4.2...

lol

B

:rofl:

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
I'm going to remove the GM decal thingy eventually and when your not looking I am going to put it on your M3 ...

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
ebaybrad said:
my buddy has a 2006 vette coupe auto, stock. I have a 2003 m3 coupe smg with shark programming and afi intake. We always meet up on the way home from work. He has been toying with me now that his car is approching 1000 miles. I am a bit intimidated by his car. I did race him before. I was in a 2003 vette convertible auto and he in his new 06 (i know he should not have done this with 200 miles on the car). We were neck and neck vette versus vette...he did pull on me about a halfcar length by 60 and was begining to pull more significantly after this...had we coninued into higher speed the gap would have widened.

His car is a monster...partiularly stomping the accelerator at 30 or 60 mph...insane!

What do you think the turnout will be? I read numbers for the vette as low as 4.2 secs and as high as 5.1...

say rolling 5-10 mph?

Dont worry, you will be killed. :rofl:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if I understand you all correctly...i might not win?:eek: :cry:

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
ebaybrad said:
No you misunderstood the posts ... of course you will win because the Vette won't be racing you and because of that you will blow my doors off

BUT today I have the Audi so maybe we'll see each other on the drive home and we'll see how it goes :eek: :beerchug:

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
ebaybrad said:
Yes, you misunderstand.

You WONT win. No "might not" about it.

----------------

You have a very good chance with several older Vettes though. Be sure to search the Web for stats on Models/year etc..

I am only trying to save the pain. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol....i will tell him to get an older vette. perhaps a 81 or so...he loves older cars....not!

thanks for all your inpout. This thread is getting pretty sillly.

i get it....STAY AWAY FROM DA BIG BAD VETTE!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Maybe a Corvette would beat an 03 M3, but probably not the new V8 M3 that's comin' out. ;)

BTW: Are we talking about a regular Corvette here or the Z06?

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
bmwexecutive said:
Maybe a Corvette would beat an 03 M3, but probably not the new V8 M3 that's comin' out. ;)

Actually... I'm quite happy with my genital size..

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
bmwexecutive said:

We're talking about the regular Corvette ...

BTW nice 330i :thumbup:

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
BmW745On19's said:
What about an E46 M3 SMG verses an '02 Corvette 6 speed?
The 02 Vette is faster as well ... these cars are just so freakin fast it is pretty incredible.

The difference between the C5 Vette and the C6 (2005 to 2007) vette is very little as far as 1/4 mile performance. Yes the C6 will pull on the older model but not by that much. I've had both and they are pretty close in power though you do notice the C6's extra mojo

BTW I just looked this is my post #6666 (an extra 6 over the devil :eeps: )

·
Registered
303 Posts
bmwexecutive said:
Dunno. I'm a little worried that the new one will go well over 3,500 pounds, which would put it at, say, a 250 to 300 pound disadvantage against a six-speed Z51 Vette. Even with the aggressive gearing that you need with any 100-hp-per-liter motor, it might not be enough.

Oughtta take care of the automatic Vette, though.

The real issue around the weight is, how much fun will it be to drive? E30 M guys were disappointed with the E36 version, and most E36 M guys (myself included) think the E46 is less fun, as well.

The new one? I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Bruce

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
Augenstein said:
Oughtta take care of the automatic Vette, though.
If it isn't taking a manual vette it sure isn't taking an automatic ... remember the GM automatics don't lose that off the line take off that the German and japanese auto's do ... I'd bet if a manual vette vs an auto vette ... the auto would win based on the fact that you would need a manual driver who is able to acheive an off line takeoff perfectly and then shift to perfection ... to lose a few tenths of a second shifting in the Vette's case is literally losing the race.

In the long run it doesn't matter, because the real difference between 0-60 or even the quarter mile is nothing when it comes to the fun to drive factor ...
I loved my 330i and my RX8 and even though they weren't the fastest they were just plain fun to drive.

IMO power nowaday's is almost a non issue because most cars are very quick.

I drove ebaybrad's M3 and thought it was awesome, it is definitely as car I could live with and have a great time owning.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
let me tell you that the m3 IS alot of fun..i agree with AF.

However, with that said...me and him raced a c5 and c6 vette side by side and the sound of two vettes pushing 750 hp roaring next to each other up to 60 mph is undescribable. It is also strange to race your own car..i would imagine.

The m3 is great fun...but the vette make you feel invincible..always..cuz you are!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts