Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm trying to purchase a 330xi for European delivery. I'm interested in the NAV system, and I understand that the 2003 system was going to be changed to be DVD based. However, when I spoke with my dealer last night they suggested that they received a memo stating that the DVD systems were delayed, and the 2003's now being manufactured were still going to be CD based (until Jan 2003?). Has anyone else been told this? Thanks in advance!

PS I believe that shooting for $1500 over invoice is reasonable, after reading some other posts here - any other advice re: negotiating and ED purchase would be welcome!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't have any info on nav but I am currently trying to negotiate euro delivery for a 330cic (w/o nav) with 2 local dealers. So far, neither will budge off of euro retail. Both seem to know the other's pricing guidelines very well.

One has offered free floormats though.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You can always order the car from another dealership and have them deliver it to a local dealership. Sometimes at no charge or minimal fee.

·
Registered
86 Posts
per two bmw dealers, this is bs!

I think your salesman f*cked up and is bs'ing you! :cry: :banghead:

·
Registered
128 Posts
hey avery, are you in N.Va? which dealerships did you go to? I'm getting a 330xi for $1000 over ED invoice from BMW of Silver Spring, MD. I used the Rizzo method and originally got BMW of Sterling, VA to agree to this price and then used that to get the Silver Spring dealership (which is closer to me) to match the offer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Skybum said:
You can always order the car from another dealership and have them deliver it to a local dealership. Sometimes at no charge or minimal fee.
I was planning on trying one or more of the other dealers in the state in the next few days.

Anyone tried euro delivery followed with performance center pickup once the car arrives in the states? I would imagine you could order from any dealership under this arrangement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
darchen said:
hey avery, are you in N.Va? which dealerships did you go to? I'm getting a 330xi for $1000 over ED invoice from BMW of Silver Spring, MD. I used the Rizzo method and originally got BMW of Sterling, VA to agree to this price and then used that to get the Silver Spring dealership (which is closer to me) to match the offer.
I'm in Va Beach. Who did you deal with at Sterling?

I read about the rizzo method. I tried a variant of it. In fact, I bought a car a few years ago from one of salesman I talked to. He was with another dealership back then and we have stayed in contact over the years. He's been trying to get me into a BMW for a while now. I have also referred several buyers to him. Based on what I have read here, I really thought I would have gotten a better price from him.

$1000 over sounds great. When do you take the plane ride?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Back to the original Question.

Has anyone else confirmed that rumor? As far as I know, the cars on the boats now, headed here, have DVD-based navigation.

And that is according to BMWNA.

Sounds like someone is very STUPID. I supposed he told you that you have to have a cassette with it, too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies above. I called another dealer here in NJ and they also seemed to suggest that the initial 2003 models had a CD based NAV, not DVD. Which one is true is still a mystery to me, given the experience of inquiring with BMWNA and 2 other delears above. BTW, the first dealer I spoke with is offering $1850 over ED invoice.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well, how will we get a firm answer?

If the car I have on the boat has CD navi and not DVD navi then I do not want it. Can I deny delivery? The problem is I have to pay for it at the dealership a week before it gets here since I am picking it up at the performance center. Can I just deny it at that point and walk away from it?

I guess I should get my dealer involved to try to get a firm answer before it gets here, right?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Before you go denying delivery, the thing to check out is whether the NAV has a DVD reader or a CD reader. I've rumors that the DVD disk has been delayed. If that's true, then I could see BMW shipping early 2003 NAV systems with the DVD reader and a CD in it.

I've got one of the first 2003's ordered coming in with the NAV. As long as the DVD reader is there, I'm fine. I can always get the DVD later when it comes out or just wait a year and get the 2004 version of the DVD.

- Rayg

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,318 Posts
Since 1st reading this post I have been searching every source of information that General Sales Managers have about product (viz. CenterNet, DCS messages, faxed bulletins, ...etc.). This is the only addendum that I could find to what I have already posted here in the past pertaining to MY 2003 vehicles.

Product Planning and Strategy Bulletin
2003 Model Year 3 Series

Third Head Rest for Rear Passengers on Sedans
The Product Planning and Strategy 3 Series Updates announced a number of changes to the 3 Series including the sedan. In that bulletin, BMW NA announced that a third headrest with a 3-point seatbelt would become standard for the center passenger in the
rear seat of 3 Series sedans. (This feature is already standard in 3 Series sport wagons and is not available on U.S. spec 3 Series coupe or convertible models.) The headrest with the 3-point seatbelt will not be available for the first month of production in
all 3 Series plants. If this feature is something that your customers would like, we would suggest that you have them patiently wait one additional month of production. The third
headrest with the 3-point seat belt will be available in the Munich and Regensburg plants beginning with October production. The Rosslyn plant in South Africa changes over to MY2003 specifications one month later, therefore that plant will not have this feature available until November production.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Jon,

Thank you for weighing in on this matter. You have won my heart and soul (and saved me a lot of grief).

My dealer said they have heard no such thing. BMWNA this morning told me that 1) NEVER listen to the rumors on thos online circus groups 2) Always check with my dealer. If they promised and sold me a car spec' ed with a DVD-based navigation unit, then that is what I will receive.

He said that he had not heard a word about the DVD not being available and most likely, the customer or the dealership in question either is reading off a 2002 spec sheet, doesn't understand plain English, or someone messed up an order and is trying to cover their rear.

I also agree with rcc in that if it is just the disk that is delayed, then that is no problem. I can play the CD in it and have them replace it with the DVD disk later. As long as the DVD unit is installed, that is the biggest thing.

Jon -- The DVD's come from a different place, right? My dealer called yesterday to set up a delivery date at the PC, and she said that she needed to order my DVD disk for the NAVI. I guess it is not coming from BMW.

Can you check the DVD disk provider to see if maybe that is the source of the delay and thus the RUMOR?

Thanks all.

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
Navtech provides just about all the CD's and DVD for automobile navigation systems. (navtech.com)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for everyone's efforts (esp. Jon's!). I also now feel better about the DVD issue (though I'm wondering about the competence of the 2 dealers I spoke with ...).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wish I had know about the 3rd headrest not being included with Septemeber production...

I was checking out Clyde's and was really looking forward to the extra cupholders and trash bag holder. I wonder if I can do some kind of swap with someone later on?

·
Registered
362 Posts
My dealer just called me and said that they got a similar memo, however, the original poster must have misunderstood.

What she understands the memo to say is that the DVD hardware IS installed.

The DVD disk will not be ready in time for the very first cars of the assembly line. The Map CD should work until the DVD disk is finished and shipped out.

She said that she can see why someone might get confused, however, it clearly says that the Hardware is there, but the software is late.

WWWHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

I am glad that we got some clarification on that one.

·
Registered
783 Posts
rbright said:
My dealer just called me and said that they got a similar memo, however, the original poster must have misunderstood.

What she understands the memo to say is that the DVD hardware IS installed.

The DVD disk will not be ready in time for the very first cars of the assembly line. The Map CD should work until the DVD disk is finished and shipped out.

She said that she can see why someone might get confused, however, it clearly says that the Hardware is there, but the software is late.

WWWHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

I am glad that we got some clarification on that one.
Hmmm although that is good news, that still sucks, since you expect it all to be ready as you wait patiently for your vehicle to come in and you have to go back in again for the install. It should be easy to tell if you have the CD version installed already? Since the CD only shows a certain region and the DVD shows the entire US?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Jon Shafer said:
[Product Planning and Strategy Bulletin
2003 Model Year 3 Series

Third Head Rest for Rear Passengers on Sedans
The Product Planning and Strategy 3 Series Updates announced a number of changes to the 3 Series including the sedan. In that bulletin, BMW NA announced that a third headrest with a 3-point seatbelt would become standard for the center passenger in the
rear seat of 3 Series sedans. (This feature is already standard in 3 Series sport wagons and is not available on U.S. spec 3 Series coupe or convertible models.) The headrest with the 3-point seatbelt will not be available for the first month of production in
all 3 Series plants. If this feature is something that your customers would like, we would suggest that you have them patiently wait one additional month of production. The third
headrest with the 3-point seat belt will be available in the Munich and Regensburg plants beginning with October production. The Rosslyn plant in South Africa changes over to MY2003 specifications one month later, therefore that plant will not have this feature available until November production. [/B]
You know, although I don't really have an urgent need for the additional headrest, it still would be nice if my dealer or BMW would have informed everyone of this at the time of of our orders in August 2002 just to keep us updated.

It's a minor issue, however I think seeing a 3rd headrest in the rear of the sedan indicates to other BMW owners that you have the latest 2003 model. This is probably the only visual identification for MY2003. But again, who cares?

·
Registered
362 Posts
bmwguynj said:

Hmmm although that is good news, that still sucks, since you expect it all to be ready as you wait patiently for your vehicle to come in and you have to go back in again for the install. It should be easy to tell if you have the CD version installed already? Since the CD only shows a certain region and the DVD shows the entire US?
You wouldn't need to go back tot he dealer at all. They can mail you the DVD disk or you can pop by and pick it up. There is no installation, just change disks like you do at home to watch a new movie.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts