BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

this is my first post here. I am a DIYer and love my 2003 X5. What's not to love, she has done me well for 113k miles in NYC.

And now I have the chance to learn a bit more about her.

Two days ago my AC simply quit. I got into the car after a 15 minute stop and came in and no AC. The compressor clutch is not engaging. The AC was running strong until then, it didn't get weak, slowly losing coolant and then stop from low pressure. There is no observable burst or Freon leak to be seen under the hood.

I tested the aux fan. Its run at low speed when the car is hot and runs at high speed when I disconnect the high pressure AC switch. So fan is working.

I pulled out the climate control module (nice an easy to pop it out) and check the voltage going out to the compressor via the black/grey wire on the 3 pin plug (middle wire). I was only getting 4.8v not the 12.8v that would be expected to kick on the compressor.

I tested all the fuses in the glove box and in the trunk. All were good, except the hand lamp, but that is just to recharge the flashlight, which I do not have (maybe I should replace it, why would it blow???).

I have not tested the compressor by jumping it to a 12v battery. I am thinking of doing this. I did hook up a gauge to the low side port and saw a lot of pressure, which makes sense since the compressor is not running with the clutch engaged.

I don't have access to a scan tool and would like to fix this myself. I have gauges, a vacuum and a scale. I can get small cans of r134a if needed... I want to learn. Of course I have my fluke multi-meter.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hi,

this is my first post here. I am a DIYer and love my 2003 X5. What's not to love, she has done me well for 113k miles in NYC.

And now I have the chance to learn a bit more about her.

Two days ago my AC simply quit. I got into the car after a 15 minute stop and came in and no AC. The compressor clutch is not engaging. The AC was running strong until then, it didn't get weak, slowly losing coolant and then stop from low pressure. There is no observable burst or Freon leak to be seen under the hood.

I tested the aux fan. Its run at low speed when the car is hot and runs at high speed when I disconnect the high pressure AC switch. So fan is working.

I pulled out the climate control module (nice an easy to pop it out) and check the voltage going out to the compressor via the black/grey wire on the 3 pin plug (middle wire). I was only getting 4.8v not the 12.8v that would be expected to kick on the compressor.

I tested all the fuses in the glove box and in the trunk. All were good, except the hand lamp, but that is just to recharge the flashlight, which I do not have (maybe I should replace it, why would it blow???).

I have not tested the compressor by jumping it to a 12v battery. I am thinking of doing this. I did hook up a gauge to the low side port and saw a lot of pressure, which makes sense since the compressor is not running with the clutch engaged.

I don't have access to a scan tool and would like to fix this myself. I have gauges, a vacuum and a scale. I can get small cans of r134a if needed... I want to learn. Of course I have my fluke multi-meter.

Thanks for any help.
Recommend getting yourself a scanner. Especially if you want to DIY. I got one for $73 on Amazon. Has saved me more than that much already. this one: https://www.amazon.com/Creator-C310...F8&qid=1468273593&sr=8-4&keywords=bmw+scanner

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I forgot to mention that I hooked up my Actron OBD II scan tool and was not get any fault codes. I believe if I had a BMW scan tool, I would be able to test other system components and even try and start the fan or compressor directly from the diagnostic tool.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Thanks. I forgot to mention that I hooked up my Actron OBD II scan tool and was not get any fault codes. I believe if I had a BMW scan tool, I would be able to test other system components and even try and start the fan or compressor directly from the diagnostic tool.
You need the BMW scan tool. The OBD II will only give you emissions related codes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts