BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2003 X5 4.4i. Lately when I start it the starter seems to grind. It's like it still keeps cranking even after the car is started. It doesn't do it for very long maybe a second or so. And it does not do it everytime. Could this be a sign that my starter is going out?

Any help would be great!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I heard a very short duration grind when starting my 03 x5, 58k, starting last week. Previous to that I had been feeling very low level vibrations through the seat and steeting wheel when in gear with foot on the brake. Had the motor mount replaced and a supposed vacuum leak fixed by and indie mechanic at the end of summer. Vibration has persisted but not very bad, but no error codes or anything two mechanics could pinpoint as a problem.

Service engine light came on last week, took it to BMW and they said I had to replace a relay module, to see if all codes would clear. After doing that they said all was set and cleared. CEL came on again two hours later, back to BMW, now said 02 sensor, bank 1 needed replacing. I said I would consider and bring it back as I was not confident of diagnosis. This Monday, started the car and was idling rough. After 3 blocks, car started to sputter, misfire and run exteremely rough. After 3 more blocks it died. Wouldn't even turn over. Today after waiting 4 days for BMW to diagnos they "suggest" a starter replacement in order to even get to the next step. They say my starter is bad. Not sure how it went bad by driving the car 6 blocks and having the misfiring and sputtering. My advice is to sell it or trade it now unless you have a very good inexpensive mechanic. I have lost faith in this vehicle and the BMW mechanics at this dealership as this is my third major problem in the last six months.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.