BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in either XM or SIRIUS. The issue is my build date which is 01/03. I have seen on various websites that the SIRIUS is compabible with my vehicle (it is without nav) and on others that it is not compatible. What gives?

I have also heard that the XM seems to work better than the SIRIUS and that there are issues with the OEM SIRIUS receivers is this true?

Will the XM install in the same manner as the OEM SIRIUS unit?

Sorry for all the questions -


Z4gigharbor
 

·
european auto source
Joined
·
5,879 Posts
z4gigharbor said:
I am interested in either XM or SIRIUS. The issue is my build date which is 01/03. I have seen on various websites that the SIRIUS is compabible with my vehicle (it is without nav) and on others that it is not compatible. What gives?

I have also heard that the XM seems to work better than the SIRIUS and that there are issues with the OEM SIRIUS receivers is this true?

Will the XM install in the same manner as the OEM SIRIUS unit?

Sorry for all the questions -

Z4gigharbor
In a Z4, you were compatible starting in 09/2002 to be exact. You are already compatible for Sirius, or you can use XM if you have Business CD. If you have Navigation - you cannot use XM.

Here are your choices:

XM Direct Satellite Radio Package for BMW & Mini
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=267

Sirius Satellite Radio - e85 Z4 Roadster w/ Business CD
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?cPath=67_126_129_134&products_id=275

both offer steering wheel control (2004+ Z4s are equipped with the MFSW), text display and factory presets - as if they were delivered from BMW preinstalled. XM is the easiest to install in the Z4, the Sirius can be a little tricky.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'm glad to assist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the link you provided:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=267

It states that the unit is compatible with Z4 with dates of manufacture beginning on 10/03. This is one of the sources of my confusion on this subject.

I do have the business CD system.

I am leaning towards the XM (it is less expensive and from what I've read - less problematic) however, does it install in the trunk?
 

·
european auto source
Joined
·
5,879 Posts
z4gigharbor said:
On the link you provided:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=267

It states that the unit is compatible with Z4 with dates of manufacture beginning on 10/03. This is one of the sources of my confusion on this subject.

I do have the business CD system.

I am leaning towards the XM (it is less expensive and from what I've read - less problematic) however, does it install in the trunk?
Good catch - I was going off of the e46/X5 information by mistake. The Z4 became compatible in 9/2003 to be exact, the head unit would have to be updated in order to be compatible with Sirius or XM.

I doubt this is possible by your dealer, a new HU may be in order - or you can use a portable unit via AUX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where would I be able to get a new head unit that would be OEM (I don't want to change from OEM at this time)...
 

·
european auto source
Joined
·
5,879 Posts
z4gigharbor said:
Where would I be able to get a new head unit that would be OEM (I don't want to change from OEM at this time)...
Email me directly, and I'll check on availbility for you. :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Email sent...
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top