BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2003 Z4 that the top goes down on just fine, but then it will not go up.... I can manually put it up and then hit the button and it does lock at the windshield. . . . I can hear the motor running, sounds fine, just seems as if something is not catching. Please advise what I should check?

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to our Z4 forum, you'll get more help in here.

Tim

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with the top issues, but if you can hear motor but no movement, then it would seem the hydraulic lines may be leaking. Others may have to chime in.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Check the emergency release and make certain that it's not partially pulled (red loop in the trunk at the base of the trunk lid). Low on fluid is the next possibility. Lastly it could have the failure my last top motor had where the bypass valve inside the pump body fractured and it's permanently in the bypass mode regardless of the position of the release cable.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Had a similar issue with mine when i bought it last year, turned out to be a leaking cylinder. If you see an oil sheen in front a rear tire after washing the car that will be the one leaking. I would check the emergency release as dc said. If thats not it you'll have to pull the top to troubleshoot and repair. If it is to cylinders you can send them to top hydraulics for rebuild.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts