Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of new to this so bear with me Or help me out!!
My convertible top goes up and down just fine. Motors are humming...all seems OK. But as of today, it is like the convertible top will not fit in the storage compartment when it goes down. It is about 6 inches short of fitting. I am aware of the two knobs in the trunk that can be rotated to increase or decrease trunk space and thus sacrifice convertible top space. But, the control knobs seem to be in the correct position.

Hope someone has a thought or two...I am baffled.

Thanks
Gary V

·
Registered
651 Posts
If the rear compartment tray was not lowered, the roof should not even try to go down (microswitch in the trunk detects if the compartment floor is up or down), so you could probably rule that out. I understand the roof locks into something in the 'down' position, same as it does into the windshield in the 'up' position. Perhaps it's not making contact with that and is unable to lock itself down. As a test, once the roof has finished going down, are you able to move it up by hand at all? Also, does the flashing red light in the centre console switch off to say it has finished putting the roof down, or does it stay flashing, meaning that the car knows it has not completed the action?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Thanks for the quick reply!

When the top is down as far as it will go, the red light on the dash "top down" button is still blinking.
If I try to raise the roof manually, it is very difficult to do.
If I continue to press the down top button, the motor continues to try to lower the top the last 5 inches or so, but it is like the top is stuck on something preventing it from lowering. I have looked carefully, and cannot find a foreign object that would be the creating the problem.

Any more thoughts?? I shudder at the idea of taking the car into the dealer!!!

Gary V

·
Luv'in Texas
1,001 Posts
try applying light oil to the joint rivets in the roof mechanism. I used "sewing machine" oil at each joint (mine was stuttering and sticking when it moved). It sounds like your frame is in a bind and won't go all the way down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have thought of that myself!! Thought the problem had to be a lot more complicated and expensive. The light oil on the strut joints worked perfectly! Thanks so much for the help.

Gary V

·
Registered
628 Posts
Finally a happy ending in a convertible top thread ... FWIW, I apply white lithium grease to all the moving joints regularly using long Q-tip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts