BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning All

I went to start my 2003 z4 yesterday afterwork the power came on the lights on the dash came on but wouldn't turn over. When i tried it again i got nothing. This car is driven maybe 2-3 days a week at night or on the weekend. I looked in the manual which offered the advice of driving it. I jumped the car off a 2006 Explorer (let both cars run for about 3 minutes) and went for a 35 mile interstate drive at 11:00 at night. The car ran fine on the drive. I figured i might want to drive it this morning before work just to make sure everything was back to normal and i am getting the same thing. Lights on the first turn and nothing on the second attempt. The only thing i did notice was after i jumped it both clocks registered --:-- but all my preprogramed radio stations where there. This is the first problem i've had with this car. Should i let both cars run longer during the jump? OR should i just go down and buy a new battery and call it a day? Are there any other connections i should check

Thanks Again for your help

·
Joiner
667 Posts
Good Morning All

I went to start my 2003 z4 yesterday afterwork the power came on the lights on the dash came on but wouldn't turn over. When i tried it again i got nothing. This car is driven maybe 2-3 days a week at night or on the weekend. I looked in the manual which offered the advice of driving it. I jumped the car off a 2006 Explorer (let both cars run for about 3 minutes) and went for a 35 mile interstate drive at 11:00 at night. The car ran fine on the drive. I figured i might want to drive it this morning before work just to make sure everything was back to normal and i am getting the same thing. Lights on the first turn and nothing on the second attempt. The only thing i did notice was after i jumped it both clocks registered --:-- but all my preprogramed radio stations where there. This is the first problem i've had with this car. Should i let both cars run longer during the jump? OR should i just go down and buy a new battery and call it a day? Are there any other connections i should check

You could try putting the battery on a charger for an hour or so. Chargers are great tools to have around. If the battery is the original, I would just replace it. I've never had one last longer than 5 years. The classic symptom is that the battery will not hold a charge. If the battery posts look corroded, disconnect the leads and clean the posts and the connectors, but that's all moot if you buy a new battery.

I would have a shop test the alternator as well just to be sure. Autozone will do it for free if you are buying a new battery there. A new BMW battery from Tischer will run around $100 plus shipping. Here's the web site: http://www.trademotion.com/splash/index.cfm?siteid=214672 Non-BMW batteries are definitely cheaper. If you go that way, make sure the ratings are the same.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
+1 if original battery, your due a replacement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the service records last night and the battery is original. Are there certain brands that are better then others. Since this car isn't driven on a daily basis I want to make sure i won't do harm to the battery if i don't drive it for a couple of days after getting it replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a chance to read some of the posts this morning....How important is connecting a battery charger to this car on a regular basis? Is this something that should be done a regular basis? I put roughly 3000-4000 miles on this car a year and I'm starting to think my lack of driving is doing more harm then good.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Battery tender is a good investment - I use a Schumacher from walmart - around $25. There are BMW badge fromt he dealer or Ctek are a more expensive alternative.

·
Joiner
667 Posts
The general consensus here, I believe, is that if you let the battery discharge for a significant period (maybe a month or even shorter) by not driving the car, you risk ruining your battery. All of the Yodas on here recommend using a trickle charger, such as the Schumacher from walmart that Blairrm mentioned, to prevent this.

·
Navigator
113 Posts
Good Morning All

Same thing happened to me last week on my 325xi. Light show on the dash loss of power. I continued 1/2 mile to gym & it was O.K. when I came out. Next A.M. O.K. then on the way home it lit up again. Turned out to be the alternator & I changed out the 7 year old battery & belts at the same time.

It shouldn't be dying if you drive it a couple of days a week, nor should it need a battery tender to keep it up, even in winter conditions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts