Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to act impatient or anything, but I was set on buying a 2003 3 series, but given that virtually no changes will be made, are there any predictions for 2004?

When will the the 330 get a 6 speed?

When will it get valvetronic?

I doubt that these are truly necessary, but given the way this segment is going, I think that a HP boost and a 6 speed are just around the corner. The 275HP 6 speed G35 is almost here. Can BMW wait another year? What is the response? They are going to be trying to catch up with the market rather than vice versa and this is an unusual situation for BMW...

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
in_d_haus said:
Probably not till the next version, post-E46. 2005 or 6
I'll bet it will show up in the very last year of the E46... as a carrot for buying the final model year.

·
Registered
71 Posts
leenelsonmd said:
Not to act impatient or anything, but I was set on buying a 2003 3 series, but given that virtually no changes will be made, are there any predictions for 2004?

When will the the 330 get a 6 speed?

When will it get valvetronic?

I doubt that these are truly necessary, but given the way this segment is going, I think that a HP boost and a 6 speed are just around the corner. The 275HP 6 speed G35 is almost here. Can BMW wait another year? What is the response? They are going to be trying to catch up with the market rather than vice versa and this is an unusual situation for BMW...
I was having a discussion about this at Roadfly.org today. I've heard that the redesigned 330 will come out either as a model year 2005 or 2006. My dealer suggested 2005 on the theory that the 7 has been redesigned this year; the 5 will be redesigned next year, which leaves the 3 for the following year (2005 MY). However, there is still the 1 series to think about, which is due out in Fall '04 (MY 2005?), this would seem to put the new 3 back to MY 2006. Until then, BMW will still be right up there near the top with the 330i, so don't sweat it. The G35 with a manual tranny will probably beat the comparable 330i on a straightaway 0-60, but there is more to a car than that. Personally, I prefer the twisties and the feel of the car on those twisties. I am not sure how well the G will do compared to the 3er on such roads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts