BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the tail light recall work perfomed back in February. That seemd to have solved the rear light warning on the dashboard until recently, I started to see symptoms again.
I see left tail light warning diagram on the dashboard, but all lights are currently working (verified). I checked the wiring and there aren't any melt wires.

Can you help with what work is actually being performed with the recall and if I should bring this back to the dealership that performed the recall as a related issue?

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
The solution to this problem was to install a new ground wire from the harness in the trunk, to the metal plate on the light housing. It`s a simple, 15-minute fix, and there`s at least one good DIY floating around the archives here....use the SEARCH function.

· Registered
1,931 Posts
Same thing happened to me just a few weeks ago when I took it in for that same recall.

I had repaired the issue myself over a year ago but figured I may as well let BMW do their thing in case there were problems down the road.

After performing their fix (which was almost identical to my own - though not as tidy as mine) I got the "light out" warning. :mad: THey told me it was a faulty bulb, even though the bulbs looked good and it wasn't doing this before their fix. I replaced the bulb...still got the warning.

They took it back to the technician and decided it was a small amount of corrosion on the contact points causing the problem. Cleanded the contact for that bulb and the warning went away.

Remove each bulb, ck for any amount of corrosion on the bulb or contact point. Clean contact points and use a small amount of dialectric crease to prevent a recurrence and you should be good to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.