BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recent purchase has some minor issues

Has an oil leak on the front drivers side of motor I've read it's probable the oil filter housing

Headlight trim doesn't seem to fit properly see pics
Button on blinker labeled BC that changes dash display does not work
the truck button on the trunk does not work, none of the wires are broken or chafing
And the tan drivers seat has seen better days

input would be great

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
My input is you bought a beater, but I think you knew that.

I did not see a question anywhere, just a factual description of what you bought. Is there a question?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes I know exactly what I bought, it's in pretty nice shape for a beater and need minor work, I was wondering if anyone know how to fix the stuff that's not working/broken

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Light: I bet the car was in an accident OR it's the wrong part.

BC stalk: Google "BMW E46 hidden OBC functions." One of the tests "exercises" the gauge cluster. Make sure all is well. If it passes the test then the issue is the stalk and its button.

Trunk: does the trunk lid unlatch with the remote. If yes, pull the trunk release switch+4-way flasher switch. It's likely coming apart. Glue it back together.

Seats: Leatherique

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Oil leak. OFHG is common so yes, prime suspect. Possible valve cover gasket too.

Front lights. By that picture it looks like there is collision damage and parts are misaligned. The turn signal cover probably popped out as a result of that collision.

Seat. +1 on leatherique but that bottom side piece is likely beyond help. Try the two step process and see what happens.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Light: I bet the car was in an accident OR it's the wrong part.

BC stalk: Google "BMW E46 hidden OBC functions." One of the tests "exercises" the gauge cluster. Make sure all is well. If it passes the test then the issue is the stalk and its button.

Trunk: does the trunk lid unlatch with the remote. If yes, pull the trunk release switch+4-way flasher switch. It's likely coming apart. Glue it back together.

Seats: Leatherique
Have to try the BC stalk
And the truck works from the button up front and the key fob I'll also look in to the release

No accidents on the carfax and if it was repainted anywhere they did a very good job cause I have an eye for that, but it doesn't mean it wasn't in one I put a self tapper in from the inner fender did the trick

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil leak. OFHG is common so yes, prime suspect. Possible valve cover gasket too.

Front lights. By that picture it looks like there is collision damage and parts are misaligned. The turn signal cover probably popped out as a result of that collision.

Seat. +1 on leatherique but that bottom side piece is likely beyond help. Try the two step process and see what happens.
Sorry I should of mentioned the valve cover gasket was recently replaced by PO, along with the ccv and other parts, I was off today so I picked up an OFHG and got to work, found lots of oil directly next to and under the oil filter housing, slapped the new gasket in torqued it down and wala no more oil leaks at this time

Idk what leatherique is but I'll google it

As far as the lights I can't see any damage right now but I'm sure the more I learn about bmws I'll know more what to look out for, I got the car pretty cheap knowing it needed some work so I'm far from upset with minor blemishes like the seat

Anyways thank you all the for the help loving the bmw so far

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
As far as the lights I can't see any damage right now [/QUOTE said:
It has collision damage. The gaps from the first picture you posted are telling. It didn't come from factory with gaps in highlighted areas like that.

Either it was bumped lightly and not repaired or it was repaired very poorly.

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1470782465.198921.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1470782478.054253.jpg

Good job getting OFHG done. Way to dive in!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was loose you could pull it out or push it in it just wouldn't stay that picture makes it look worse

1 - 11 of 11 Posts