BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling my 2004 330XI with 110,000 miles. I know the clutch needs replacement. Should I put the new clutch in before I sell it? It is in excellent condition and is loaded

·
Keeping it surreal
43,086 Posts
I am selling my 2004 330XI with 110,000 miles. I know the clutch needs replacement. Should I put the new clutch in before I sell it? It is in excellent condition and is loaded
How did you determine that the clutch is bad ? These clutches typically go to 150,000 or beyond, unless they have been abused.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI Bob, My mechanic told me it was time. I am not really comfortable with him but I am experiencing a pedal that comes way back up to engage. It has been the same way for a year. My thought was to sell as is but if I will get more return if I do it I will change it

·
Keeping it surreal
43,086 Posts
HI Bob, My mechanic told me it was time. I am not really comfortable with him but I am experiencing a pedal that comes way back up to engage. It has been the same way for a year. My thought was to sell as is but if I will get more return if I do it I will change it
Before you do anything else, perform this simple self-test:

Get on a level, open road, at about 30 mph in 4th gear. Floor the throttle. If the RPMs jump way up, without much of a corresponding increase in vehicle speed, you probably have a slipping clutch. If the car begins to pick up speed almost instantly, and increases at a steady rate, the clutch probably still has some life left in it.

Addendum: Open the driver`s door, and kneel alongside it. Using just your fingertip pressure, press down gently on the clutch pedal....you should feel about an inch of freeplay, before any resistance is met. If you have that play, that is another good sign.

Good luck ! :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts