BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I currently have a 2002 M3, I have it sold because its getting high on miles and I need a 4 door vehicle. I have a great deal on an 04 530i but I dont know how they are in the snow.

I did have a few years back an 02 323i which was horrible. So I dont know how it would compare.

I really cant afford the AWD so my question goes out to who out there has a 530i and drive in the snow? What can I expect? I live in Connecticut so its hit or miss on storm size, but we get snow. I have a 35min commute to and from work, all highway except for 5 mins to get on and 5 when I get off.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ok so I currently have a 2002 M3, I have it sold because its getting high on miles and I need a 4 door vehicle. I have a great deal on an 04 530i but I dont know how they are in the snow.

I did have a few years back an 02 323i which was horrible. So I dont know how it would compare.

I really cant afford the AWD so my question goes out to who out there has a 530i and drive in the snow? What can I expect? I live in Connecticut so its hit or miss on storm size, but we get snow. I have a 35min commute to and from work, all highway except for 5 mins to get on and 5 when I get off.
The only way on earth I was able to do a 535i Sport is because I've got a spare 4WD SUV and the wife has an Audi Quattro. My part of CT is very hilly, the rwd 5 stays home with any threat of snow. My recently returned 530xi was great in the snow, try to swing the xi if its your only vehicle.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I would think and '04i and an '04xi would be fairly similarily priced by now after the cars have gone through a decent amount of their depreciation schedule. Eitherways, if you go RWD you definately have to take it easy in the snow. DSC and DTC will help keep you straight, but I would not drive mine if I lived in a hilly area. Tires are a big factor too, but as you mentioned sensitivity to price - I don't know if purchasing a set of 4 winter tires to go an a RWD model would be an option.

·
Registered
175 Posts
4WD might get you up a hill but it won't aid you in getting down the other side. If you're constantly driving in conditions like that you probably need a vehicle that can take studs or chains.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I don't think the 5 came in xi until '06- not sure here. The 3 series did though.

As far as 4WD getting you up a hill and not down- the Hill Descent Control on the 5xi is one of the most amazing features on the car.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Most important part of vehicle and performance in snow = driver.
Second most important part in snow = manhole covers in trunk.
Next = good snow or all season tires.

·
Sox Fan
117 Posts
Absolute words of wisdom here - amazing how bad and how good some people can drive in the snow. I have lived in Mass, CT, IL and MI. I consider driving in the snow to be a form of art.

·
Registered
120 Posts
+1000
I've seen plenty of people in 4WD or AWD vehicles in ditches as I've merrily driven by them with my 4WD Toyota pickup in 2WD (even without the manhole covers in back - but I definitely agree the weight helps a LOT)... even watched an AWD van suddenly decide to hang a sharp right turn into a ditch on a 4 lane divided dead STRAIGHT and level road in NY about 10 minutes after it had started snowing heavily.

Had no issues in the Schladming area on snow-covered roads with my (not so shiny by that time) new 535i with the stock Goodyear all-season tires in March - even without chains the 50-50 weight distribution works pretty well in keeping the wheels behaving nicely. The right tires also make a huge difference - My wife's ML350 with summer tires doesn't leave the garage when there's anything resembling snow on the ground... it's back to the ancient Toyota truck with grabby tires and expensive chains (if they're really needed.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts