BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a 2004 BMW and would like to know if there is an option that goes with the SUV for the gargage door opener on certain model.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Lynda said:
I am thinking about buying a 2004 BMW and would like to know if there is an option that goes with the SUV for the gargage door opener on certain model.
I heard people got that option with the upgraded mirror after complaining the remote key didn't work. But that's in USA. In Canada that didn't work. At least for me it didn't. Upon complaning, I got an upgtraded mirror which did not have the HomeLink and I still have trouble with the keys...

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
You can shell out quite a bit of cash (I think $250 or so) to buy the Homelink mirror. You also might be able to buy a Homelink mirror with compass. There's at least 2 or 3 different mirrors you can buy at the accessories place.

Or you can complain that your remote reception is poor, and apparently that Homelink mirror ends up being the replacement mirror (it worked for me) since it is a service bulletin.

·
Registered
234 Posts
AzNMpower32 said:
You can shell out quite a bit of cash (I think $250 or so) to buy the Homelink mirror. You also might be able to buy a Homelink mirror with compass. There's at least 2 or 3 different mirrors you can buy at the accessories place.

Or you can complain that your remote reception is poor, and apparently that Homelink mirror ends up being the replacement mirror (it worked for me) since it is a service bulletin.
What does the mirror or homelink mirror have to do with the remote for opening/closing the doors?

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
MPBX3 said:
What does the mirror or homelink mirror have to do with the remote for opening/closing the doors?
I'm guessing when people say "garage door opener" they mean Homelink. What else could it mean?

·
Registered
234 Posts
AzNMpower32 said:
I'm guessing when people say "garage door opener" they mean Homelink. What else could it mean?
I know that. But they say that they have the basic mirror (non-homelink). Complaining to the dealer about the remote to open the doors not working properly, they'll change the mirror to homelink.

So somehow there's a connection.

·
Registered
194 Posts
MPBX3 said:
I know that. But they say that they have the basic mirror (non-homelink). Complaining to the dealer about the remote to open the doors not working properly, they'll change the mirror to homelink.

So somehow there's a connection.
Searching here and other X3 forums show that the stock receiver for the remote control is in the shark fin. :tsk:
When you complain to the dealer that you can't get in your X3 using the remote control (usually in a down town area) :cry: the dealer adds a second receiver, this receiver is located in the UGDO (homelink) mirror. This is a cheep/easy fix for the dealer, ¼ hr labor a couple hundred $ part.
A byproduct of this is you get a garage door opener. :thumbup:

·
Registered
234 Posts
judybe83 said:
Searching here and other X3 forums show that the stock receiver for the remote control is in the shark fin. :tsk:
When you complain to the dealer that you can***8217;t get in your X3 using the remote control (usually in a down town area) :cry: the dealer adds a second receiver, this receiver is located in the UGDO (homelink) mirror. This is a cheep/easy fix for the dealer, ***188; hr labor a couple hundred $ part.
A byproduct of this is you get a garage door opener. :thumbup:
Now, this sounds good.

I'll be bringing in the X3 soon for an oil change. I'll complain about my remote when I make the appointment and see what they say.

Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Again, don't count on it. After reading about this "upgrade" in these:dunno: forums, I tried the trick and I didn not get the Homelink. It may be just a US thing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
petren said:
Again, don't count on it. After reading about this "upgrade" in these:dunno: forums, I tried the trick and I didn not get the Homelink. It may be just a US thing.
As I'm in the US. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I'm going to try also, if they don't do it I'll show them the SIB

·
Registered
5 Posts
I heard people got that option with the upgraded mirror after complaining the remote key didn't work. But that's in USA. In Canada that didn't work. At least for me it didn't. Upon complaning, I got an upgtraded mirror which did not have the HomeLink and I still have trouble with the keys...
I just got a 2004 X3 yesterday. What is this remote "key"? My 2004 has the 2.5 engine, Leather, Nav, Sunroof.

My mirror has a red light thingy and a small dot on the mirror itself [top middle]. I assume this is not a Homlink but I really do not know what the heck it is...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Never mind - the remote key is the freaking key for the car [which has a remote in it]. Silly me... I am going to try that TSB tomorrow when I take the car in.

Funny thing, my wife is really complaining about the key not always working. ;)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just had the X3 back for the door seals and showed them the TSB, It appears that they now have another fix (besides mirror) and said that they needed to order an antenna amplifier to fix the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did the same exact thing just a few weeks ago. Heck, even my Service Manager told me I needed all my Door Seals replaced, said it sounded like it was falling apart [told me that when I took it in to fix a power window].

Any case, when I went in to have the ALL the door seals replaced I showed him the TSB. They did it but did not put in the mirror but something else. :(

But, the locks are working better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts