BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been driving this car for about a month now and the car starts struggling/shaking going to 30mph. Took it to a shop to check it out and they charged me about $100 and they told me that the car hasn't had a oil change since 14,000 miles. She told me that was the main cause and that the Vanos was very sticky/ratchety. She told me that I would need a Engine Oil System Flush to verify to see if it's the sludge build up or mechanical failure and that would cost me about $200. Also said my TPMS sensors are failing and require replacement which I have no idea what that is or the cost. Any opinions or help would be fine because I have no idea about cars. Also wondering if this is a big problem for my car and if I should get the Engine Oil Flush.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Being a 04 model year, you have the M54 engine, which is one of BMWs most bullet proof engines. However, don't understand if you are 14k miles on this oil change or 14k miles past due, i.e. 28k on oil. At any rate, I think I would change the oil/filter several times over the next 3-4K miles with a BMW LL01 rated synthetic oil if you are 28k into this oil change. Let the detergents in the synthetic oil do the job as apposed to using a flushing oil product. Personally I have never cared for the 15k oil change regiment BMW went to. A good LL01 synthetic at a 5-6k mile interval goes a long way, oil and filters are cheap and engine parts are expensive.

With regard to your flat tire monitoring system, the 04 an 05 system works off difference in tire rotating speed between tires as a subset of the ABS system. We don't have pressure sensors/transmitters in the valve stems. The presser sensor system is 06 on.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got the car about 3 weeks ago as my first car and don't know nothing about cars. Also I mean the car hasn't had an oil change for a while and its 14,000 miles overdue. And yes that stupid flat tire sensor is always up and have no idea whats wrong with it. I had a wheel alignment plus I added more air to all my tires and still that hasn't gone away even if I reset the car it's still their. Thanks for the good info on this also appreciate it! I can't trust no repair shop because they seem to all lie to get more money from you.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I just got the car about 3 weeks ago as my first car and don't know nothing about cars. Also I mean the car hasn't had an oil change for a while and its 14,000 miles overdue. And yes that stupid flat tire sensor is always up and have no idea whats wrong with it. I had a wheel alignment plus I added more air to all my tires and still that hasn't gone away even if I reset the car it's still their. Thanks for the good info on this also appreciate it! I can't trust no repair shop because they seem to all lie to get more money from you.
By admitting that you don't know anything about cars, you have just possibly made one of the larger mistakes in your lifetime by purchasing this car:rofl:. People who don't know jack about cars should probably be driving a Toyota, not some cheap, neglected 12 y.o. German garbage. Did you even get the car checked out before buying? How many miles are on it? The TPMS issue can be fixed relatively cheaply, but the engine could have more issues due to neglect than just what that shop found. Good luck...you'll need it...

·
30FF <3
2,620 Posts
when I got my first bmw (e39 @ 209,000 mi) (2nd car ever owning) I rarely knew anything about working on cars except for throwing oil and anti freeze in it. My e39 had over 14+ ODB codes, from the help of this forum and my quickness of learning, and being a hands on / good with my hands type of guy, I got my e39 running smooth as a kitty but it took me almost 10 months to clear and repair everything doing DIY's. Its possible to do, but you have to have the love to do it, and the knowledge to want to learn.

The m54 engine is so easy to work on, it took me almost 2 years to learn everything about it, reason why I went with a e60 m54 type, because I knew If I wasn't going to be throwing money at higher top engines with turbo's etc, I would save a lot of money doing DIY's for the most part, and a lot of less headache trying to learn how to repair a brand new engine type that I have no knowledge about and the other engines are a pitta to work on, unless you have the knowledge and experience.

check out my threads in the e39 section, proof is there.

To the OP, seems like you were me, when I first started, I don't want to scare you away, but first thing I would do is, get that oil out asap, have it checked for damages and sludge, then go from there, also get you a ODB scanner, and google the codes and read a lot of DIY's.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By admitting that you don't know anything about cars, you have just possibly made one of the larger mistakes in your lifetime by purchasing this car:rofl:. People who don't know jack about cars should probably be driving a Toyota, not some cheap, neglected 12 y.o. German garbage. Did you even get the car checked out before buying? How many miles are on it? The TPMS issue can be fixed relatively cheaply, but the engine could have more issues due to neglect than just what that shop found. Good luck...you'll need it...
Lol you sound like you need a hug their buddy. Theirs nothing wrong with buying a car you don't know theirs a reason why I came here to learn. Nobody said it was a german garbage that was neglected for 12 years:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
when I got my first bmw (e39 @ 209,000 mi) (2nd car ever owning) I rarely knew anything about working on cars except for throwing oil and anti freeze in it. My e39 had over 14+ ODB codes, from the help of this forum and my quickness of learning, and being a hands on / good with my hands type of guy, I got my e39 running smooth as a kitty but it took me almost 10 months to clear and repair everything doing DIY's. Its possible to do, but you have to have the love to do it, and the knowledge to want to learn.

The m54 engine is so easy to work on, it took me almost 2 years to learn everything about it, reason why I went with a e60 m54 type, because I knew If I wasn't going to be throwing money at higher top engines with turbo's etc, I would save a lot of money doing DIY's for the most part, and a lot of less headache trying to learn how to repair a brand new engine type that I have no knowledge about and the other engines are a pitta to work on, unless you have the knowledge and experience.

check out my threads in the e39 section, proof is there.

To the OP, seems like you were me, when I first started, I don't want to scare you away, but first thing I would do is, get that oil out asap, have it checked for damages and sludge, then go from there, also get you a ODB scanner, and google the codes and read a lot of DIY's.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info! I'll get that engine oil flush and oil change on monday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts