BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Goings44
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
.I was driving my 2004 BMW 645Ci then all of a sudden the break would go all the way to the floor making the car hard to stop I change the front brake pads and check the brake fluid which was not leaking and was full I still cannot stop my vehicle unless I press the brake all the way down to the floor can somebody please help before I have an accident thank you oh and I did bleed them but why would this happen at first help before I kick out money ***55357;***56833;***55357;***56833;***55357;***56833;

·
Restoration Enthusiast
104 Posts
If the brake pedal goes to the floor then the bakes need bled. You'll need to re-bleed them. Check with your local BMW dealer and make sure the brakes are not bled using a diagnostic computer. At Toyota, there are a few vehicles which require us to use the Techstream to operate the ABS pump in order to bleed the brakes. Bleeding is all ECM controlled. If they say that your car does not require that procedure then you need to bleed them in this order, right rear, left rear, right front, left front. Bleed each corner until clean fluid comes through with no air bubbles.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to our 6 Series forum. Sounds like you have air in the lines.

Tim

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
There was a brake booster recall on the cars several years ago, maybe five or six years ago. If I recall correctly, the notice stated that brakes may fail. Was it performed on your car?

I think you can go to the nhtsa site and check for open recalls on your car, it's possible that you may check for open service campaigns on your car at BMW site but not sure. A dealership with a bit of integrity would give you that info as well, but that is a loooooonnnnnng shot that they will do it without you bringing it in and paying a diagnostic fee.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Found info on that recall. Picture of notification letter:

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1468516966.019693.jpg

And copy of repair order with part numbers:

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1468517005.316548.jpg

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Actually, I re-read the recall letter in more detail, sounds like the recall was a loss of power brake, not pedal to floor.
Proper bleeding is likely first thing to do. Sorry.

·
Super Moderator
8,476 Posts
If it is going to the floor but stopping, your brake booster is most likely bad. As stated there was a recall. If nothing has been done to the brake system, it should still qualify. Getting the BMW dealer to agree with the cause of failure, might be challenging. If you have anyone else touch the booster, the recall will not pay for the repair. If a new booster has been installed, it would have a recall part number attached to it, not the original part number. BMW charges around 1200.00 for the repair. Have the diagnostics run, & pay the hourly rate for a repair estimate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts