BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im stumped.... i go to turn my car over and it just cranks but no start. But when i take the key out and try again it starts right up with no problems.... Someone help

·
Keeping it surreal
43,228 Posts
Im stumped.... i go to turn my car over and it just cranks but no start. But when i take the key out and try again it starts right up with no problems.... Someone help
Before actually attempting to start the car, when you turn the key to "Position 2" (just before "Start"), can you hear the characteristic "whirring" sound of the fuel pump priming the system ?

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Do you wait for the pump to prime before you turn the key all the way to the starter motor position?

Maybe you're losing fuel pressure when the car sits.

Does the car start this way if it only sits for five or ten minutes?

·
The Boss of Nobody
3,695 Posts
Obligatory how old is your fuel filter?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GoForthFast- No, i haven't waited for the Pump to prime. I will wait in position 2 before turning the key over completely over and see if the problem goes away

·
Keeping it surreal
43,228 Posts
Under normal conditions, the fuel rail should remain pressurized at all times, so the car will start instantly when you turn the key. It would probably be a good idea to check fuel pressure at the Schraeder valve under the hood. It should be ~ 45 psi or so....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axxl98lToN8

1 - 9 of 9 Posts