BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I had my airbag and seatbelt warning lights come on a while back with a warning on the computer screen saying my airbag system war disfunctional. My BMW guy did a diagnostic read on the car and reported that the Airbag Safety Gateway Module was cooked. I bought a second hand one on Ebay matching the car but when my guy installed it and cleared the error the diagnostic computer rejected it due to it having the wrong VIN programmed into it. When he cleared that error, the module showed no errors but the warning lamps in the dashboard were still lit.

Actually this started when the passenger seat mat went bad. When that was replaced the diagnostic read said module was bad and should be replaced.

Does anyone know of a service that I can send the module to to have it wiped clean of the old VIN.

Once that is done my guy thinks that the module will then reprogram itself to the car.

This is a link to the item I bought, you may need Google translate as it is in German.

http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180520558263#ht_976wt_ 1137

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I know a guy who can wipe crashed airbag modules clean I will pm you the info.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have replaced a few gateway modules, You will either need to re-program it with WinKFP or use tool32 to change the VIN number as paper stated. Once you fix the VIN issue you will need to re sync the time in all the gateway modules. If the system is not re-synced on all of the safety modules the airbag light will never go away, inpa will show a system failure message. If you try to clear this message it will always re appear until the system has been synced

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Sure Pm sent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
:thumbup:Thanks to all, I will try to fix it myself, and if not, I will try Rookie contact. I need to start learning as much as I can to save me some money in the long run.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi 7Figurez,
Could you explain how to 're sync the time in all the gateway modules' please? I have the tools loaded and working on a PC.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi 7Figurez,
Could you explain how to 're sync the time in all the gateway modules' please? I have the tools loaded and working on a PC.
+2 I have the same issue and I read your post wondering why you didnt explain how to do it or what it intails.

·
Registered
65 Posts
2004 E65 Recoding AirBag Module With VIN

Has anybody in South Florida ever perform this to their car? Or does anyone know of a repair shop that can preform this to my car.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Still dealing with the problem. No one in South Florida acts like that it cant be done
I have talk to my Indy shop. He told that if I manage to change the VIN of the replacement (used) module He can sync it with all the cars module. He can also code VIN to new Module.

All I need is how to change VIN number with WinKfp

·
Registered
436 Posts
I recently did this to my ZGM with winkfp. So, first open INPA, choose E65 and the functional jobs. Then select F3. You'll see a list of all control units with their ZUSB number. Copy that number for your control unit and close INPA. Then open winkfp. Before you do this, please be aware that the ZGM is a fairly quick update but your battery needs to be in a good state, ideally you'd have a power supply, though I didn't use it. So select comfort mode and then click find ZUSB and enter the number you copied down in there, this will go straight to the right ZUSB. Then enter your full VIN and then click on done. On the new screen, click on update ZUSB and cross your fingers. Then you need to restart your system time, this can be done using Tool32 or DIS. I used DIS because of the handholding walk through.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I recently did this to my ZGM with winkfp. So, first open INPA, choose E65 and the functional jobs. Then select F3. You'll see a list of all control units with their ZUSB number. Copy that number for your control unit and close INPA. Then open winkfp. Before you do this, please be aware that the ZGM is a fairly quick update but your battery needs to be in a good state, ideally you'd have a power supply, though I didn't use it. So select comfort mode and then click find ZUSB and enter the number you copied down in there, this will go straight to the right ZUSB. Then enter your full VIN and then click on done. On the new screen, click on update ZUSB and cross your fingers. Then you need to restart your system time, this can be done using Tool32 or DIS. I used DIS because of the handholding walk through.
Thanks for the info.
How is this process:
DIS because of the handholding walk through

1 - 20 of 44 Posts