Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For comic relief, if nothing else. I can still see the revised E46 in the foglights, but...wow...did those lights get bigger, or what? :yikes:

It gets a "Formula One-style paddle" shifter as a slushie option. :rolleyes:

Pontiac on Thursday unveiled the ninth generation of its Grand Prix for the 2004 model year at the Texas State Fair in Dallas. Pricing has not been released.

The automaker has eliminated the base model SE for 2004, and instead will offer a 200-hp V6-powered GT, and a 250-hp GTP and GTP with a competition group package.

The competition package includes 17-inch wheels, tuned suspension and Stabilitrak Plus, which helps keep the car stable in high-speed maneuvers and harsh conditions, and TAPshift (TAP stands for Touch Activated Power), which can switch the car from automatic transmission to manual with a Formula One-style paddle lever on the steering wheel.

Twin-styled dual exhaust outlets will be standard on all models, as well as larger 16-inch and 17-inch wheels and tires. The car is the same size as the model it replaces.

Inside, the cockpit will include larger analog gauges, and radio and air conditioning controls are now flush with the dash.

·
Registered
294 Posts
That's a Grand Prix? Looks a lot like the current gen Grand Am. Well, at the very least, the exterior is finally devoid of "When I grow up, I wanna be a Ferrari Testarossa" side strakes.

But what's up with that interior? The dash materials look like they belong in a Ford Focus. GM still just doesn't get it. :thumbdwn:

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Are those fog lights rated at more than 5 million candle light power? :confused:

My uncle's Hughes 500D helicopter has smaller lights than that ...

Patrick

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Those side strakes were on the Grand AM, not the Grand Prix. Of all of Pontiac's cars, the GP managed to escape most of that terrible side cladding. Overall, I think the styling is rather good. The interior isn't awful, but I see two issues: The materials still don't look that great, and the hvac/radio controls are still old-school Pontiac. I could be wrong on the materials since all I've got so far is a photograph. The controls, however, are an issue. They look like they came out of my 2000 Grand Prix, and those radio controls looked like they came from a '95 Grand Am.

I'm betting that it drives quite well and that the performance value is still there. In fact, it looks like all they did to get the extra 10 hp is upgrade the supercharger. In that case, a pulley swap should be right around the corner for that puppy. For what it is - a mid-sized, mid-priced family car intended to appeal to the more adventurous driver - I think it's a good product. Then again, I'm a GM sympathizer so what do I know? :dunno:

·
3,762 Posts
Wow, nice car..... Too bad, because up until this new model, the GP was the least silly-looking car in the Pontiac lineup. Looks like they're fixing that.

Somewhere in central Kentucky, Britley Ashlun Bimbette II is jumping up and down in excitement.

T

·
0 Posts
Jetfire said:
The controls, however, are an issue. They look like they came out of my 2000 Grand Prix, and those radio controls looked like they came from a '95 Grand Am.
Actually, to my eyes, those HVAC and radio controls look straight off a Fisher Price toy.

And they want how much for this car?

·
Spelling Impaired
5,656 Posts
TD said:

Actually, to my eyes, those HVAC and radio controls look straight off a Fisher Price toy.

And they want how much for this car?
Not only, that...but did the interior get too hot? It looks like the insides have started to melt and everything is sagging. Not to mention the fact the whole dash assemble is at least a dozen pieces or so. All those wonderful seams to rub on each other and start squeeking. Uhmmm....I just love the sound of hollow, hard plastics rubbing against each other as I drive down the road.

I agree on those fog lamps. The look to be about the same size as the landing lights on the KC-135 that came in over my head on the way to work this morning...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts