BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 04 2.5MT has developed an annoying creak that apparantly is coming from the door seals. The material used in early X3s dries out then starts to make a noise similar to styrofoam rubbing together.
A service bulletin from BMW addresses this, the fix is to replace the door seals with a newer material.
$650 cost to do it.:cry:
So I am not going down that road. Question: Anyone else had this problem. Is there a more cost effective fix?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
The SIB was 51 28 05 Body Equipment, Feburary 2007

It replaced the window guides - many owners found it didn't work at all.

But for the record, it said:

Correction: Replace seals with improved parts and apply the specified transparent teflon tape.
The flocking material was changed from Poly Amid (PA) to Poly Ethylene (PET) in June 2005. PET is a thermoplastic polyester with a semi-crystalline structure that has exceptional rigity, strength, dimensional stabillity and low moisture absorption.

Parts Needed:
51 33 3 424 493 - Window Guide Seal, front left
51 33 3 424 494 - Window Guide Seal, front right
51 33 3 424 495 - Window Guide Seal, rear left
51 33 3 424 496 - Window Guide Seal, rear right
83 19 9 407 798 - Teflon adhesive tape
3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner

The teflon tape in particular was found to be a bad idea.

SIB 51 28 05 was abandoned, and replaced with a directive to clean and lubricate the seals and flocking with a rubber conditioner (Carboflo?)

But Gummi-Pflege is available again, and costs a lot less.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So, a $7 bottle of Gummi-Pflege takes care of a problem they tried to solve with $650 worth of parts? Sounds good to me - time to buy a bottle and try it out!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
So, a $7 bottle of Gummi-Pflege takes care of a problem they tried to solve with $650 worth of parts? Sounds good to me - time to buy a bottle and try it out!
Works for me.

Some people seem to like having their car torn apart and suspected faulty trim pieces replaced.

But with no assurance that BMW/the dealer have positively identified the real problem,

let alone that the replaced parts are any better than the originals,

I prefer to wait for simpler and less invasive solutions that are well-proven to be effective.

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
The SIB was 51 28 05 Body Equipment, Feburary 2007

It replaced the window guides - many owners found it didn't work at all.

But for the record, it said:

Correction: Replace seals with improved parts and apply the specified transparent teflon tape.
The flocking material was changed from Poly Amid (PA) to Poly Ethylene (PET) in June 2005. PET is a thermoplastic polyester with a semi-crystalline structure that has exceptional rigity, strength, dimensional stabillity and low moisture absorption.

Parts Needed:
51 33 3 424 493 - Window Guide Seal, front left
51 33 3 424 494 - Window Guide Seal, front right
51 33 3 424 495 - Window Guide Seal, rear left
51 33 3 424 496 - Window Guide Seal, rear right
83 19 9 407 798 - Teflon adhesive tape
3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner

The teflon tape in particular was found to be a bad idea.

SIB 51 28 05 was abandoned, and replaced with a directive to clean and lubricate the seals and flocking with a rubber conditioner (Carboflo?)

But Gummi-Pflege is available again, and costs a lot less.
I had a copy of this SIB and posted it in the FAQ's sticky!
I had this done before the warranty ran out, and the creaking stopped completely. Try the Teflon tape as well, it's almost invisible unless you are looking for it :thumbup:

·
humanum est errare
652 Posts
I have been through every variation of the door seals and the current formulation has solved the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.