BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I'm a newbie and not mechanic saavy,

I have a bmw Z4 2.5, 2004, 70,000 miles.

I had a small leak in the radiator expansion tank, I bought a new tank from Tischer bmw and my car guy changed it as well as a new upper radiator hose yesterday. I went and had a smog check this morning to be able to renew my tabs and the car passed the test no problem.

Everything was fine until 15 mn after leaving the smog check station the car started stalling and huge amounts of white smoke started coming out from the exhaust, it had a heavy burning rubber smell..

I stopped checked oil and coolant level everything fine and the car never overheated..

i waited a bit turned it on and again huge white smoke...

I had AAA tow it to my car guy and he thinks it could be a blown head gasket..

My question is can the smog check lead a head gasket to blow? it just does not make sense to me that I passed if it was deficient or worn out beforehands...

anyone has any idea, comments or similar experiences on this? I'm just really confused..

Thank you :)

PS how much does it usually cost to have repair shop (not bmw they're thieves) do the work?

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Smog test = no

Repair shop not properly bleeding the air out of the cooling system = possible

Rule of thumb for tailpipe smoke:
blue = burning oil
black = excessively rich (fuel)
white = steam (water)
darker white = brake fluid (failed brake booster allowing fluid to be sucked into intake tract__burns exhaust valves too!)
no visible smoke, but exhaust fumes burns eyes = too lean__waaay too lean!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Me too!

I just took my car in this morning. Same issue. I have a 2003 Z4 with 68,000 miles. Car was idling very strangely and when I stepped on the gas, a huge cloud of burn-smelling white smoke shot out of the tailpipe. I haven't heard from my mechanic yet.

What was the resolution you got on this and what did it cost to fix?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bad news for you if same as me, mechanic said the oil pump was defective so oil bled in the engine etc which caused the smoke, new oil pump plus cleanup of everything $3000 ;(
Got rid of the car, nothing but trouble with this one, windows collapsing, radiator tank etc..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.