BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2005 325xi at the end of Nov. 2004. Options included were the premium package and Sport package. I thought when I purchased the car that I had bluetooth, based on the BMW the website which stated premium package has bluetooth and I have BMW Assist. I started last month researching my options on which phone to purchase. Then one day I opened a BMW e-mail promoting bluetooth. They said 2005 models bult in August do not have bluetooth (though they charge the same price as models built in September or October). Their web site also has this now promiently listed. I called up bmw because I did not think this applied to me as I had a bluetooth passkey card dated 11.08.2004. They told me that my car was built in Aug. and that if wanted bluetooth I would have to pay $400+ to have it installed, bringing my option package to $2,700 instead of $2,300 that is being charged on 2005 models. I had no idea when I bought this car, or else I would have had my dealer hunt around for a car built later. Has anyone else incounted this problem and found any solutions? BMW said I am the only person who has called on this.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yep, you just missed out. This notice was on the very first press release announcing the new Bluetooth module:

Which vehicles come with Bluetooth?
Bluetooth is standard equipment on the 2005 5 and 6 Series models as well as the M3 Convertible and X5 4.8is. It is included in all other vehicles equipped with BMW Assist or a Premium Package. It is not offered on the 7 Series, which comes standard with a fully integrated portable cell phone. Some early production 2005 model 3 Series cars are not equipped with Bluetooth. Consult a BMW center for specific availability.

Here is the actual press release from October 28th
http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/buzz/news.htm?article=136

In essence your car still has the 2004 BT module. Typically new model year production starts in about September, and now you know its not when you purchased your car, its when it was produced, in your case August 04. Indeed it seems like this press release was out before you purchased your car!

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Gayle said:
I bought a 2005 325xi at the end of Nov. 2004. Options included were the premium package and Sport package. I thought when I purchased the car that I had bluetooth, based on the BMW the website which stated premium package has bluetooth and I have BMW Assist. I started last month researching my options on which phone to purchase. Then one day I opened a BMW e-mail promoting bluetooth. They said 2005 models bult in August do not have bluetooth (though they charge the same price as models built in September or October). Their web site also has this now promiently listed. I called up bmw because I did not think this applied to me as I had a bluetooth passkey card dated 11.08.2004. They told me that my car was built in Aug. and that if wanted bluetooth I would have to pay $400+ to have it installed, bringing my option package to $2,700 instead of $2,300 that is being charged on 2005 models. I had no idea when I bought this car, or else I would have had my dealer hunt around for a car built later. Has anyone else incounted this problem and found any solutions? BMW said I am the only person who has called on this.
Do a search and you will find out that you are not the only one calling BMW or the dealers on this. Several forums members have found out the same no-Bluetooth issue with 08/04 cars and their dealers have exchanged the Assist TCU at no cost when these customers complained that they were told that their cars have Bluetooth before purchasing and they didn't... search.

There is no guarantee that this will happen to you but it is worth a try...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
325xi

Thanks for the advice, I will try calling my dealer. This is my first BMW and I have to admit, did not realize that an early 2005 was really a 2004. Was going to get an x5, but loved the drive of the 325xi. I haved loved driving this car from the moment I bought it. No problems, drives great especially in snow. After getting off the phone with customer service I felt sorry I ever bought the car and had second thoughts on ever buying another. I work around the corner from BMW NA and every three or four cars you see in my area is a BMW and it kind of gives me a sick feeling when I have to drive by Corp. It's strange I saw the annoucement after I bought my car, but that was the only time until recently. It seems to be all over the place when they mention bluetooth. I do believe they have received alot of complains.
Again thanks for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts