BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't decide!

2005 330i, getting about $7500 off of MSRP.

2006 Has all options, but not sure about that interior?

Michael

·
Registered
396 Posts
What is the MSRP on the 2005 model?

As for 2006, it's pretty the same options! If the 2006 has ZHP then it's gong to cost the same as the 2005 MSRP, except higher HorsePower.

If you are on a budget then the 2005 looks good.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I would rather wait atleast a year for one, reason being all the problems with new cars happen the first year of production, and plus i noticed with bmw there were various technological advances done to the 2000 model year vs the 1999 year, and plus after 2001 the whole engine sytem changed. I would get the 2005 first as it is the last year of production and all the bad stuff has been worked out, and buy a (E90) in about 2 to 3 years when most of the problems have been fixed and trust me there will be problems just like any other new model. you never know the 255hp might turn into 275hp in a few years, same thing as they did with the infiniti G35 went from an 260 to an 280. I would recommend you get the E46 and wait a couple of years. :) Are you getting the performance edition with 235hp???? if you are it won't make any difference to the performance between the new 3 series and E46 model, as the E90 weighs about the same as a E39 5 series.

p.s. what is ZHP???????????

·
Le plaisir de conduire
494 Posts
Go for the ZHP! One reason along is that the E90 has lost it's touch with road- there's less feedback. Given this fact and that the ZHP is by far the best E46 3-series ever built, I think the right decision is obvious.

~Jon

·
Certified Organic Fanatic
2,544 Posts
E46 ZHP (performance Package) for sure! If you can find one the way you like it... you will get a better deal by far then on the new E90. I too think the "touch" needs further tuning and refinement. Over the next 2-3 years this will be polished significantly. They don't have a ZHP for E90 yet... I would get the '05... with the money you save... do some mods. Enjoy the freakin hell out of the best E46 sedan ever. Hopefully BMW will do a ZHP on the E90... when they do, buy one. Car and Driver says the E90 330i has the exact same perf numbers as the E46 ZHP = 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. :thumbup:

·
Best Machine in the World
294 Posts
I had the same dilemma a week ago (thought that was the end of $4200 off deal, but they run it 3rd month in a row). I got 2005 330i ZHP for $6.4K below MSRP, and I am happy I did (M3 elements: wheels, steering wheel, short-throw shifter). Also, 0-62 time is 5.9s vs. 6.1 for 2006 (correct me if I am wrong). Then, two more things (and this is my personal opinion only, no offence):
1. 2005 is 6th manufacturing year in a row, and who knows what v1.0 (2006) keeps inside
2. E46 appeals to me more
Well, I had to pay for ZPP which I did not want, but I also got Xenons and butt warmers (which I wanted).
So, my advice is: go with 2005 ZHP (I am sure you will get the opposite advice as well - new looks, supposedly better gas mileage, more fancy stuff for E90).

P.S. Oh, one more thing: this is my first bimmer :) I'll post pictures as soon as I will have a chance to Zaino it properly. I'll tell you a story about showing it to my boss and my boss' boss :) I just can't stop talking about the car LOL

·
Registered
19,863 Posts
I would get the new ZHP ( 2005 ), it should have all the bugs worked out of it. Make sure to check on that dip though, other then that you should have a great clean running car for years to come. I would buy that and hang on to it for 2-3 years then buy the new model, by then they should have a performance packaeg for the new one as well and all the new bugs worked out of the new engine with the new computer as well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
serge_ua said:
I had the same dilemma a week ago (thought that was the end of $4200 off deal, but they run it 3rd month in a row). I got 2005 330i ZHP for $6.4K below MSRP, and I am happy I did (M3 elements: wheels, steering wheel, short-throw shifter). Also, 0-62 time is 5.9s vs. 6.1 for 2006 (correct me if I am wrong). Then, two more things (and this is my personal opinion only, no offence):
1. 2005 is 6th manufacturing year in a row, and who knows what v1.0 (2006) keeps inside
2. E46 appeals to me more
Well, I had to pay for ZPP which I did not want, but I also got Xenons and butt warmers (which I wanted).
So, my advice is: go with 2005 ZHP (I am sure you will get the opposite advice as well - new looks, supposedly better gas mileage, more fancy stuff for E90).

P.S. Oh, one more thing: this is my first bimmer :) I'll post pictures as soon as I will have a chance to Zaino it properly. I'll tell you a story about showing it to my boss and my boss' boss :) I just can't stop talking about the car LOL
:stupid: ...what he said.

From someone who bought a 2004 330i with ZHP (and with the navi system) and after sitting in as my sister test drove the 2006 330i yesterday. I must say get the ZHP. The new 330i is nice looking. Its grown on me. I has many nice touches :thumbup: .
Though, I love the M touches on my 330i ZHP and the feel of the steering and handling. This automobile sticks to the ground and its cornering ability is :bow: :supdude: amazing. If you can, wait until BMW releases a compatible package for the new three (it may be a while). IMO, the front looks boring (well, except for the headlights). Look-wise a new 330i with the sport option is a good way to go. Though I still think my 330i ZHP
looks "pretty hot". :eeps:

My sis (who has a 2002 325i) was thinking of buying a C230 but after yesterday's 330i test drive it seems we will continue to be a BMW family.

·
Best Machine in the World
294 Posts
And BTW, by posting this in E46 section, you are doomed to get more opinions biased towards 2005 ZHP (Wait, I did the same thing :D ). You should post a similar thread in E90 section to collect thoughts from the other part (I am just trying to be unbiased here ;) ).

·
Registered
121 Posts
So are their ANY official road tests of the e90s yet? I'm interested to see what kind of results can be obtained under a formal testing platform with dry, flat, sticky tracks and experienced, fast and slim drivers. :D

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
startover said:
So are their ANY official road tests of the e90s yet? I'm interested to see what kind of results can be obtained under a formal testing platform with dry, flat, sticky tracks and experienced, fast and slim drivers. :D
EVO and CAR have both done formal road tests. No track numbers though, if thats what you're looking for - those mags only do that for group comparison tests. EVO loved the car, and said it was big tail-happy fun, while CAR liked it but complained it was 'uninvolving'.

·
takes the long way home..
1,080 Posts
I got an 05' ZHP (but I missed out on the incentives). I'm eagerly awaiting the E90 V8, if they don't screw it up I'm going to sell the 330 and pick up the M3 saloon.

·
Ich bin ein Bimmerer
1,241 Posts
I thoroughly enjoy my Perf Pkg 330i, and don't know how I could be much happier with a stock automobile (asside from more ponies, perhaps.) I did the BMW ultimate drive yesterday, and got a chance to wring out a new 545i. I must say it was a hoot to drive, but I didn't feel nearly as in touch with the driving part as I was the passenger part. It was like a hot-rodded luxo boat, albeit one of the best ones. Kinda like the Acura TL and the G35, mabye even the M35/45. My fear is that this is the direction the E90 is going in. I did walk around one at the dealer. Externally it is nice, but the interior is so vanilla. I can't see me feeling as much a part of the car as I do in mine.

It largely depends on what you want out of the car. IMHO, the ZHP is like the E36 M3 Lite, much like the E90 will be something like the E60 Lite. I have no remorse in not waiting, but the ZHP is exactly what I wanted.

·
takes the long way home..
1,080 Posts
Oh, is the Ultimate Drive back on? I had such a blast last yr whipping the X3's around the autoX course, very impressed with the stability. The pro drivers are sick.

/threadjack

·
Registered
336 Posts
shizat63 said:
I got an 05' ZHP (but I missed out on the incentives). I'm eagerly awaiting the E90 V8, if they don't screw it up I'm going to sell the 330 and pick up the M3 saloon.
...you keep moving up the family tree Shizat. :)

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
JAWJr said:
Go for the ZHP! One reason along is that the E90 has lost it's touch with road- there's less feedback. Given this fact and that the ZHP is by far the best E46 3-series ever built, I think the right decision is obvious.

~Jon
no way. the e90 is lightyears beyond my 03 ZHP. I was taking corners in the e90 that would have had my car in the ditch. And the new 3.0 is so linear and smooth it's scary. My car has decent power but it doesn't come on as smoothly or as robustly as the new 3.0.

no contest, get the e90. The e46, even with ZHP isn't nearly as good of a car.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts