BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of help - no one seems to be able to pin point the issue. I have a 2005 545i that recently just started to have the sunroof and windows open when the car is turned off. It happens when its turned off after an hour or maybe three hours - never consistent. I suspect that I have a draw somewhere in the car however I have not been able to find it and tried to remove a few fuses with no luck. Two years ago I replaced the battery with H5 and now not only do the windows and sunroof open when the car is turned off but the battery is completely drained....you cant even charge the battery.

I replaced the battery with an H9 l6 Bosch and now the same problem is occurring. Does anyone know what the issue could be?

this only started to happen a few months after my mechanic replaced my alternator.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to our E60 5 Series forum, you'll get more help in here.

Tim

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I am in need of help - no one seems to be able to pin point the issue. I have a 2005 545i that recently just started to have the sunroof and windows open when the car is turned off. It happens when its turned off after an hour or maybe three hours - never consistent. I suspect that I have a draw somewhere in the car however I have not been able to find it and tried to remove a few fuses with no luck. Two years ago I replaced the battery with H5 and now not only do the windows and sunroof open when the car is turned off but the battery is completely drained....you cant even charge the battery.

I replaced the battery with an H9 l6 Bosch and now the same problem is occurring. Does anyone know what the issue could be?

this only started to happen a few months after my mechanic replaced my alternator.
Welcome to the forum .. Couple of simple things to try . one the negative battery terminal has small thin cable . Its called the IBS cable . Disconnect the plug for that cable for a couple days and see if the draw continues . Also the flash light in the glove box when it goes bad can drain the battery . And third there is a square black relay in the trunk fuse box . its called the 30g relay . If its sticks closed , it will drain the battery . Just throw in a new one for peace of mind , there cheap at the auto parts .

Check that stuff ,rule it out as the cause of the drain . then get back to us . Also on the shifter bezel . See if the car is going into sleep mode , you can tell when the light goes offin about 45 minutes +/- .... If it stays on then some thing is keeping the car awake .

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I am in need of help - no one seems to be able to pin point the issue. I have a 2005 545i that recently just started to have the sunroof and windows open when the car is turned off.
There's a feature where you hold down a button on the remote long enough, and the windows will open, and eventually the sunroof too. Helps to get your car cooled off as you're walking toward it in the parking lot. But, if something presses the button when it's in your pocket, the same can happen. I've heard of people going out to their car on a winter morning to find it full of snow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum .. Couple of simple things to try . one the negative battery terminal has small thin cable . Its called the IBS cable . Disconnect the plug for that cable for a couple days and see if the draw continues . Also the flash light in the glove box when it goes bad can drain the battery . And third there is a square black relay in the trunk fuse box . its called the 30g relay . If its sticks closed , it will drain the battery . Just throw in a new one for peace of mind , there cheap at the auto parts .

Check that stuff ,rule it out as the cause of the drain . then get back to us . Also on the shifter bezel . See if the car is going into sleep mode , you can tell when the light goes offin about 45 minutes +/- .... If it stays on then some thing is keeping the car awake .
Thanks for the comment. I will need to locate the IBS cable and attempt to disconnect it. I will try to rule out a few things based on trial and error. I find it odd that No one has had this issue before. Thank again for the help. I will be back to give my update:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
H E, I am not sure I understand what you mean with the lights on the shifter bezel ? I have a 6 speed manual and I don't see any lights around that area...perhaps I am missing the point?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Toga94m. I am aware of the features on the keys and I ruled that out a while ago. the widows and sunroof open every time I turn the car off after little while...and drains my battery (new at that).

There is something else going on - my understanding is that the windows and sunroof opening is a indication that the battery is low.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,384 Posts
I've never seen a thread or heard anywhere that the sunroof and windows opening is an indication the battery is low. I have accidentally pressed the key button from my car, while in my pocket, and found the trunk open.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Neither have I...but my mechanic told me that BMW's are designed that way??? NO idea...

I have also done the same as you (pressing on key button) and the windows have opened. Unless the unlock button on my key is jammed and is draining my battery I have no idea how this could be related to the keys. I also moved my keys very far away from the car where the keys wouldn't be able to unlock my car and it still happens.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
H E, I am not sure I understand what you mean with the lights on the shifter bezel ? I have a 6 speed manual and I don't see any lights around that area...perhaps I am missing the point?

Thanks again!
Once the car fully enters into sleep mode the light will shut off .

Attachments

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Neither have I...but my mechanic told me that BMW's are designed that way??? NO idea...

I have also done the same as you (pressing on key button) and the windows have opened. Unless the unlock button on my key is jammed and is draining my battery I have no idea how this could be related to the keys. I also moved my keys very far away from the car where the keys wouldn't be able to unlock my car and it still happens.
This is not correct . Sorry, but you're mechanic is mis informed . I agree with twh on this ..

Low battery will not open the sunroof . Most likely the button on the key fob has been pressed un intentionally ... It's happened to me , but my trunk popped open a few times . And one time looking at my car at a restaurant sat down with my keys in my back pocket . Sat down and trunk opened . I no longer keep my keys in my back pocket, and it has never happened again .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts