BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i jumped into this last weekend, and it was pretty easy. Thought i would show a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
JEEZ lol easy how?? I’ve been thinking about swapping my lens because it’s scratched on the inside but I always read about how hard it is to take the lens off

Can you run me through what you did to take it off and put the new one on?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JEEZ lol easy how?? I’ve been thinking about swapping my lens because it’s scratched on the inside but I always read about how hard it is to take the lens off

Can you run me through what you did to take it off and put the new one on?
Man, I was having a hard time starting after reading all the complaints.

Found a Russian video where the guy put the lens in a box with a heat gun.. See my pic.

So pulled off the rubber, 2 clips and 2 screws.
Heated the lamp for about 15 or 20 minutes. The lens started to warp.
Pull it out. Razor around the seal a few times. WEAR GLOVES-HOT
Start in the corner away from the turn signal.
Start prying with 2 screw drivers. The plastic will be soft, so take it easy.
Work both sides of the corner until it starts to raise. Took about 5 minutes.
Pry down the seal and it will start to raise. Then just use ya hands and pull apart slowly.
The turn signal corner is sticky. Took me 15 minutes to remove it
Razor out the LED strip and wedge out the turn signal plastic. It is melted to lens. pry slowly.

Imma take a pic of a tool that helped better than the razor knife. It cuts tile flooring. Made it easy to break seal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you change the wires inside or you just replaced the wire jackets with thicker ones?

If you can please do include the pictures of that too! :D goodluck!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you change the wires inside or you just replaced the wire jackets with thicker ones?

If you can please do include the pictures of that too! :D goodluck!!
I just re-wrapped the wires with good electrical tape. Where I could, I used shrink tubing to keep it neat. Even if I had to cut the end off and solder it back.

I will check for more pics...

FYI- make sure to remove the modules at bottom of lights before heating..... They fall apart pretty easy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cool! That would really be helpful!

I bought a pair of new headlight brackets but it seems like my headlight brackets are fixed to the housing of the headlights.. I checked realoem and I'm sure I ordered the correct part number but I have no idea on how to install it... :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts