BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have 2005 545I V8 & 4.4L (has 170000 KM). I put the car on the storage for winter and took it out in May 2013. My battery drained completely, so i had to give a Boost. car started but with so many lights came on (BATTERY TERMINAL, including date/time air bag, flat tire etc).

i drove ~ 500 km (no issues with battery) and lights were turning off by itself except flat tire and air bag. (i got Dynamic drive malfunction occasionally but when i turn the engine off and on it is gone). i took it to BMW and they did a battery diagnostics and say all GOOD - reset the lights. (charged me 200$ :( )

car was running good for a couple of weeks and from June - the Dynamic drive malfunction comes more frequently (engine on & off will remove it) but comes back as soon as i drive like 200 meters.

then i was driving on a road trip, and it was raining really bad, and i kept getting the messages in my dash, my viper was going slow, BATTERY TERMINLA, ABS, Active steering, Flat tire and almost all messages popped up, then my steering was TIGHT (while i was on the highway) could not turn at all. i pulled over, and shut the engine off - after i could not start the car (battery DEAD). waited 30 min - no use. called the tow guy to move it to BMW dealer. after he towed my car, we parked outside (garage was closed). tow guy left, so i wanted to try starting my car - IT STARTED. all lights are going away except Battery terminal and flat tire. since the car was at the BMW - next morning i explained the situation - they done the diagnostics and say battery is GOOD and they suspect Alternator and it wil cost 1300$.

i told them, do you give me a garantie that i wont experience this once i change alternator - they said we have to start with something and alternator is the first step.

I don't believe in that. i read few forum threads, they say it could be a small terminal connection problem. Because until i put the car in garage, it was running smooth.

PLEASE HELP ME. i am in Montreal and i can check with BMW indie shops. thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a 2005 545i too. Had a very similar problem recently. It was the alternator. Once replaced, all these problems went away. Also, did you check to be sure that your car didn't get recalled? I had the battery cable recall service performed on my car. Didn't help still had same issues. Then I had the alternator replaced and all was good.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...lled-due-to-a-battery-cable-problem/index.htm

·
DIY'er
3,437 Posts
I had some odd things happening on mine as well as the alternator was going out

The car will start cutting off different things as the voltage gets lower and lower to try to make it last longer

Can you change the alternator yourself?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys for the input!
i took my car to the indy shop just now. Ran a check and the battery read 10.4 volts (when engine is on) the mechanic right away said its the alternator (900$ part + labor). he also mentioned to change the battery (~200$) because he said its too old (battery dead couple of times when he was testing).

Tomorrow they are going to change the battery first and if it does not help, alternator will be changed. i think my damage would cost easily 1500$ :(

i will let you guys know. i hope this will fix the issue.

·
DIY'er
3,437 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
$293 for brand new OE Valeo unit at Car Parts Warehouse dot com. Maybe three hours labor.

He is being fair at $200 for total cost of the battery installed and registered.

With your mileage if you haven't done the water pump, thermostat and belts now is an excellent time. After you remove all the stuff to get to the alternator that water pump is just hanging there begging to be swapped out.

I know you don't need to hear about a bigger bill, but it will never get cheaper. If you do it make sure your Indie gives you a smokin' deal on the labor. He should add the cost of the pump, thermostat, coolant plus maybe .5 hours labor additional over and above the alternator.

·
DIY'er
3,437 Posts
Also, for the record, I changed the alternator (first time changing it on this car) in the parking lot in under 3 hours. I think it was closer to 2.. It's a tight squeeze, but really not a lot to it. All the radiator shrouds and stuff any competent mechanic can have off in literally 10 minutes with impact wrenches. The tough part is getting it lined back up right when it's going back in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys for your input.

My mechanic got a new alternator (BOSCH) 463$ , new battery(195$) and labor 225$ (3hrs * 75$).
he also cleaned the EXhaust (there was a noise when engine was on) - $100 (parts+labor)
i paid 1130$ altogether. he was kind enough to explain me all the issues.

now my issue is resolved. drove 100 KM, HIT max speed etc etc. so far all good. Car runs great.

FYI
BMW stealership quoted me 1400$ just to replace alternator.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.