BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone:

I have literally searched dozens of forums trying to find a solution for this so I am sorry if someone already responded...

For some reason, the light strip above the headlamps does not turn on for me. I tried toggling the different lighting options (park, automatic, etc) but I can't figure out how to turn them on.

Anyone else experience this? Any quick remedy?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Mine just come on automatically with the lights. Sounds like they may be out.

·
2007 550i, '13 X5, '02 X5
691 Posts
Hello everyone:

I have literally searched dozens of forums trying to find a solution for this so I am sorry if someone already responded...

For some reason, the light strip above the headlamps does not turn on for me. I tried toggling the different lighting options (park, automatic, etc) but I can't figure out how to turn them on.

Anyone else experience this? Any quick remedy?

Thanks everyone!
Yes, I remember seeing there was a problem with Progman v17 or so that BMW inadvertently disabled the "eyebrows" on your headlights. This is corrected in a newer software version - just have your dealer upgrade your software and you'll be all set. Let us know how things work out! :thumbup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks MSAMMY. Funny thing is that I called the dealership and the SA seemed to allude to the fact that the "eyebrow" feature was not available in 2005. Do you happen to know when BMW introduced this feature to headlamps?

Thanks again!

·
691 Posts
Thanks MSAMMY. Funny thing is that I called the dealership and the SA seemed to allude to the fact that the "eyebrow" feature was not available in 2005. Do you happen to know when BMW introduced this feature to headlamps?

Thanks again!
See stream's previous post - 2005's have functional "eyebrows" as well. I know stream has had progman upgrades over the past few years - it's quite possible that your car was upgraded to the V17 (or so) level which inadvertently deleted the eyebrow lighting. Call your SA and tell him that 2005's have the eyebrows lit and you want your software upgraded to enable them as well. If he disputes this, then ask to speak with the shop foreman who will definitely know for sure. If they balk, call another dealer and start over. :thumbup:

·
Registered
820 Posts
I thought the eyebrow feature was standard 2004 on? I know I saw them in the 2004's when the came out because I remembered liking it.

·
691 Posts
I thought the eyebrow feature was standard 2004 on? I know I saw them in the 2004's when the came out because I remembered liking it.
Fitz, I think you're right; I seem to recall that all E60's had the eyebrows right from the start. I think he's stuck in the void where they were inadvertently disabled by our engineer friends over in Germany around the progman V17 level or so. An upgrade should fix his situation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah it was weird I called Peter Pan BMW and the SA I spoke with said that he hadn't heard of that feature being introduced until 2008. Since I am new to bimmerville I didnt argue with him. Looks like they will be getting another call from me today! Anyone know how much a software upgrade goes for on average?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Thanks guys. Yeah it was weird I called Peter Pan BMW and the SA I spoke with said that he hadn't heard of that feature being introduced until 2008. Since I am new to bimmerville I didnt argue with him. Looks like they will be getting another call from me today! Anyone know how much a software upgrade goes for on average?
What an idiot that guy is. Geez. He works for BMW, he should probably know that what you are talking about has been around for 5 years. LOL.

UNLESS! Maybe he thinks you are talking about those little LED lights on the very side of the eyebrow that match the little LED lights at the back side of the car. You know which ones I am talking about? The little useless LED side marker lights that look cool? lol. Those from LEDs are new for '08.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
It should be done under warranty. This was an issue with a version of progman that caused them to stop working, and it was fixed in a subsequent progman version. See attached SIB.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Soo.... I just got off the phone with another SA at Peter Pan BMW and they said that I could bring the car in because it was still under factory warranty. Note that this type of problem is not covered under the CPO warranty as that more focuses on engine, transmission, etc. I will give an update on Monday on how it goes.

Thanks again for the feedback!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.