BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! So, have a 2005 BMW 645ci and have to replace alternator. I've check hundreds of sites and posts and although there are procedures, even videos, the one thing I have yet to see is someone actually removing the old alternator. I've done all the prelim work, fan out, pully out, bolts out of the alternator and although it moves slightly to the right, it will not clear the mount. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to our 6 Series forum, you'll get more help in here.

Tim

·
Registered
106 Posts
They get stuck. A little gently prying with a screwdriver and finding the right leverage point and it will come free.

·
Super Moderator
8,680 Posts
Remove the nut for the motor mount on that side, & raise the engine until it hits the firewall. This will give you around an extra 3". Spray some WD40 around the bracket area, & it will slide out to the right. It is a little tight, but it will come out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Remove the nut for the motor mount on that side, & raise the engine until it hits the firewall. This will give you around an extra 3". Spray some WD40 around the bracket area, & it will slide out to the right. It is a little tight, but it will come out.
Hi you all... I removed the motor mount nut, placed a small 2x4 under the oil pan , tried to lift the engine but didn't move so I stopped there to do more research. Please help

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Super Moderator
8,680 Posts
The engine will on rise around 2 to 3 inches. This will help give room to slide the alternator out, & give access to the motor mount & alternator bracket.

·
Super Moderator
8,680 Posts
Did you remove the nut from the top side, back behind the air filter housing? If you look down you will see the motor mount bracket, with the nut in the cavity of the mount.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just replaced the alternator. Trick is to use a big flat screw driver to move it out against the engine body from passenger side of the alternator, this will get It out about an inch or so. Then wiggle it hard and pull.

·
Registered
106 Posts
guty59, can you explain your primary problem before trying to raise the engine? Are you trying to remove the alternator, removed the two bolts and it's stuck in place or is it a different problem?

·
Super Moderator
8,680 Posts
guty59, can you explain your primary problem before trying to raise the engine? Are you trying to remove the alternator, removed the two bolts and it's stuck in place or is it a different problem?
He is trying to get the alternator bracket off.

·
Super Moderator
8,680 Posts
Did you see the stud come up out of the motor mount bracket? You did say you are lifting the engine at the oil pan with a jack, correct?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts